Chapter 13 - Unrefusable Offer

I quickly got dressed and headed down to the bakery I had gone to each other day for breakfast. I hadn't tried any other stores yet but so far this bakery had been reliable, and I wanted to treat myself to something delicious before the meeting.

When I arrived, there was already a line of people waiting outside. I decided to wait in line, I had plenty of time and I wanted to try something new from them. As I waited, I watched the busy street and people going about their day. The smell of freshly baked pastries wafted through the air, making my stomach growl in anticipation.

Finally, it was my turn. I walked up to the counter and ordered a filled croissant and a hot coffee. I was rather surprised that they had croissants here. The woman at the counter handed me my food and I took a seat at one of the small tables outside. I savoured every bite of my breakfast, taking in the flavours and aromas.

Once I finished my breakfast, I made my way over to the apartment building where the meeting was supposed to take place, Ashwood Lodge. I arrived a bit early and decided to wait outside and take in the view. It was a beautiful morning, with a cool breeze blowing through the trees. I took a deep breath and let the calmness of the day wash over me. It was much nicer than yesterday's rain.

Just as I was about to go inside the building, a man approached me walking around the corner. He was taller than me, with a dark suit and a black-rimmed hat covering his face. I couldn't make out what he looked like which rather annoyed me even though I assumed it was "D".

"Follow me," he said, turning and walking away without another word.

I followed him, intrigued by the mystery surrounding this meeting. We walked for a few blocks until we reached a small park in the nicer part of town. An area I hadn't visited yet. It wasn't that busy and had only a few people sitting having something to eat, sitting at the benches.

"D is it? I asked as we walked. The man didn't reply as we continued on.

The man led me to a bench and motioned for me to sit down. I complied and sat down next to him still leaving a bit of room between each of us.

"I have a proposition for you," he said, his voice deep and serious.

Continuing to look ahead and not at him, my curiosity was piqued. "What kind?"

He took a moment and sighed. "One that you can't refuse."

Thankfully I knew he wasn't an enforcer from the uninvited guest Lucas the other day. I wasn't as tense as when Caius and I got interrogated.

"Is that so?" I replied casually.

The man paused, "I hear you're new around here, travelling and looking for a job."

"How-?" When and how would he have gotten that information, I've only told Caius and his friend Fleur about me. Did Caius blab about me to other people I didn't know about? I eased my breath, "How do you know this?"

"You know, word seems to travel fast about new faces popping up out of nowhere. Wouldn't you agree Elias?"

He had me perfectly in the palm of his hand. I knew nothing about him yet he seemed to know almost everything about me. Was he implying that he knows I came from another world?

"Come on Eli, you didn't expect to not be background checked did you?"

Would that have been Lucas and that woman? If so, they didn't ask anything of the sort nor did I give them any substantial information about me in the slightest.

"I had-"

"Lucas right?" I cut him off as I felt a drip of sweat form on my forehead despite the cool air.

The man muttered something under his breath, too quiet for me to hear anything.

I leaned back on the bench, trying to keep calm despite the unsettling feeling creeping up my spine. "What's the proposition?"

I sat there, waiting for him to reply. The man remained silent for a few more moments, then leaned in closer to me. "I have a job for you," he said, his voice low and urgent. "It's a simple task, but it pays well."

I wasn't sure I liked the sound of this, but I also couldn't deny that I needed the money. "And why do you think I'm the man for the job?"

"Let's just say I've been watching you, Elias. I know you've got what it takes."

Did this man even know who I was really? If he really knew me he'd get me a job working in an office, as a lawyer or something where I can work by myself. By the sounds of it, he's wanting me to get my hands dirty. Although I can't assume yet.

"All right," I said finally. "I'll hear you out."

The man leaned back into the bench and let out a slight sigh.

"As long as it's regular work," I continued.

"You won't have to worry about that, If you can manage I may be looking to employ you."

I felt my heart skip a beat at the mention of employment. This was the opportunity I had been waiting for, a chance to further myself and finally climb the ladder of society. I tried to play it cool, not wanting to seem too eager.

"What kind of work is it?" I asked, trying to sound casual while also feeling a sense of urgency.

"I need you to find something for me," he said, looking at me intently.

"Find something?" I repeated, feeling a bit confused. "What is it?"

"It's a small object, nothing too difficult. But it's important and I need it as soon as possible."

"Then why can't you or your buddies do it, aren't they better suited for the job?" Why would he choose to offer me a job when he could get Lucas or that woman to do it instead?

"..." the man paused for a moment as he looked for the right words to say. "It has to be you, I can't tell you anything further."

What could I do better than this guy or his lackeys could seemingly do? I am confident in my knowledge back in my own world but I feel like I'm out of my league here, let alone when it comes to any physical work.

I thought about it for a moment. It seemed like a simple task and if it paid well, it could be worth my time. I may as well give it a shot, this opportunity might not come again. "Okay, I'm interested. What's the pay?"

"Wow slow down there, you'll get those details when I give you rest."

"That doesn't sound sketchy at all," I said, sounding sarcastic.

"It's worth it," he replied. "Trust me."

I nodded slowly, feeling a sense of excitement and fear all at once. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, but I couldn't deny the opportunity in front of me.

"If you're really interested, I'll give you all the details you need tomorrow," he said, standing up from the bench. "Same place, same time." He tipped his hat up so I could see his face clear as day. He had the same dark hair as the man from the other night, as well as a few visible cuts that hadn't healed yet.

With that, he turned and walked away leaving me in shock, sitting on the bench in the cool breeze.