five.

Brooks Scott

The first week and weekend at Havenpoint had gone by quickly. It had taken me about three days to realize that this new move was draining me slowly like an ink pen. There were moments throughout the week when I felt fine and content. Once I was alone again, those feelings went away and I remembered the absolute betrayal from my family.

Nola, my sister, is the only person I've really talked to. Mom and dad's phone calls have been sent straight to voicemail. Despite the fact that Havenpoint isn't completely terrible, I'm still bitter that they decided to send me into unknown territory millions of miles from home. London may not be the worst place in the world but I'm homesick as fuck.

A month ago, I was looking forward to my final year at  Highland Preparatory, my old school. Now, I was patiently waiting for the day when I could escape this hellhole. This morning, I was notified by the dean that my visits with my assigned shrink would start today.

What. The. Fuck.

No one told me boarding school involved fucking therapy. Did it look like I needed therapy?

The session was absolutely dreadful. Most of the time, I stayed mute. There wasn't anything wrong with me and my shrink wouldn't convict me otherwise. Once I was out of there, I took a shaky breath. Was it normal to feel small in that room? It wasn't huge but my presence had felt minimal.

My next couple of breaths were also shaky as I placed a hand on my heart. "Hi, Brooks," a soft voice came from behind me causing me to flinch slightly. "Oh, I'm sorry did I scare you?" she added, placing a hand on my back. Once my eyes caught her face, something in me calmed. "A little," I admitted, clearing my throat. Amelie had a worried expression on her face. "You look flushed. Are you alright?"

Oh, God. Did I?

"I'm fine! I just ran across the building," I lied, chuckling to seal the deal. That seemed to work because she flashed me her pretty smile. It was time for my next class which we shared so she took her steps next to me. "How was your first week and weekend at Haven?" Amelie asked. That small smile never left her face.

I didn't know how to describe it but something about this girl's presence made me feel calm. She felt like a pretty angel that inflicted a sense of relaxation inside me whenever she came around. It was weird. I'd never felt that aura from a girl before and here this girl came, making it happen. We had only known each other for a week too.

"Fine? I guess. Honestly, it's not as bad as I thought it would be," I admitted to her. "Well, that's good. Have you made any friends?" she questions. "Yeah, my roommates pretty chill and I've met a group of friends who have been kind enough to take me under their wing," I explained. Her smile grows wider. "Oh, I never asked who your roommate was?" she said.

"His name is Asher Schulz, do you know him?" I asked her. A light blush crosses her cheeks then. "Oh yeah, I know him," she replied. Oh, God, does she have a crush on him or something? Before I can ask, we step into class which is almost full. Our professor never assigned us seats so we took our usual seats next to one another.

Amelie pulls out her notebook and pen. "Well, I'm glad you're adjusting. For some reason it's kind of easy to make friends here," she admits, a small chuckle falling from her lips. "I definitely had more friends a couple of semesters ago but it's not hard to make friends here. Unless you come across the wrong people." Hmmm. That makes sense. Everyone I've come across has been decent.

No assholes yet.

"We're friends," I told her, smiling. She turned to me and smiled back. "Are we? You don't have to say that just to be nice, Brooks." My name slips from her lips perfectly. Ugh, her accent is fucking cute. "We're definitely friends. If you want to be my friend too, that is." The blush creeps back into her cheeks and she gives me a side smile. "Yes, I do want to be your friend."