one.

Emerson Jenkins

Unlike a lot of people at this school, I was waking up for the hundredth time at Havenpoint this morning. Summer break had just come to an end so everyone was moving in or moving back in. If you weren't staying for the summer, you weren't allowed to return to HP - short for HavenPoint- until the first day of classes.

Yeah. Stupid miserable rule.

Waking up here every day was a routine for me. I would rather be here than at home. Either way, I'd be alone but at Havenpoint I'm free. Somewhat at least.

Today I got up with a purpose. It was the first day back and while I dreaded continuing my studies, this meant she was back.

With nothing but jammies and slippers on, I ran toward the courtyard where every student was being dropped off by their family. I didn't care how crazy I looked. My eyes searched for my other half rapidly. It was like the world stopped when I spotted her platinum-blonde hair from afar. "MINA!" I shouted. Her head spun toward me quickly and she grew the biggest smile.

Ugh. I missed that smile.

Running toward her again, we met in the middle. She embraced me and we squealed like school girls. "I missed you so much," I breathed, never wanting to let go. My summers were never easy without her. "I'm here now," she spoke, knowing her words would calm something in me. They did.

I wanted to cry.

This summer had truly been the worst couple of months of my life. Not being able to have my best friend with me absolutely sucked. If my world was going to shit, I knew I could count on Mina to have my back. Without her, it felt like the whole world was against me. She was the sunshine to my dark cloud. When she was with me, everything was okay.

"Hello, Emerson. How are you, darling?" Mina's mother's voice caught my attention. I tried my best not to scowl at the lady. Her dark hair is slicked back into a bun, she's dressed like a chic businesswoman, and her strong accent makes her sound and look like the baddest bitch in the city. Well, she wasn't.

I disliked the woman for more than one reason but Mina kept it nice meaning so would I. "Good, thank you, Mrs. Zheng," I replied, giving her a clipped nod. "I'd recognize the back of that head anywhere!" A voice called out. Mina's head turned almost as instantly as it did when I called out for her earlier. She smiled wide, searching for the face of that voice.

Gross. My day went from starting off amazing to... this.

When she finally caught his eye, she gasped and squealed as the boy made his way over. Mina jumped and Kai caught her with one arm, spinning her around for a second. "Missed you," he told her as he placed her down. "Kai, honey! We missed you in France. How was Singapore?" Mrs. Zheng had a huge smile on her face now as she admired the boy.

He gave her the same response I did. Short and respectful. "Fine. Thank you." His attention then turned over to me and he lost that little light he had in his eyes. "Emmy," he greeted, not bothering to look at me longer than two seconds. I didn't think he was going to stop hating me over the summer. For what it's worth, I didn't like him much either.

The tension could be cut with a knife and everyone felt it. Mina said goodbye to her mother and the three of us retreated inside. I went my own way when Kai offered to help Mina up to her dorm. As much as I wish we could be roommates, we weren't. The school assigns us roommates by last name.

I'll have the same roommate as last semester. Cora Jefferies. She was a nice girl but we didn't really talk much.

I stormed into my room and closed the door behind me. Cora hadn't arrived yet so I changed into my school uniform and platforms. Classes weren't starting for another hour but seeing Kai had put me in a mood so I decided to make a pit stop to my stress reliever before my first class began. Fixing my hair in the mirror one more time, I grabbed my school bag and started the trek across the school to the boy's dormitories.