Chapter XXVIV: Icarus (Part 1)

Endymion hurried towards his little sister's room, his steps brisk and urgent. A line of concerned servants trailed behind him. Today was their father's funeral, and he had just received troubling news from the maids. They reported that Charlotte had not touched her food since last night and had refused to let anyone into her room. The weight of their father's death seemed to have plunged her into deep despair, affecting even her basic needs. 

He paused in front of her door, taking a deep breath to steady himself. He knocked gently and spoke with a soft, reassuring voice, "Charlotte? It's me, brother Endy. Can I come in?"

Silence greeted him, amplifying his worry. Without further hesitation, Endymion turned the knob and entered her room. "Charlotte?" he called out, his eyes sweeping the space. The untouched food on a tray atop the small table confirmed the maids' report. Turning, he spotted Charlotte, curled up on her bed, her small frame wrapped tightly in a blanket. He approached her, his face etched with concern, and sat on the edge of the bed. 

"I know you're sad about what happened to Father, but please, don't make things harder for yourself," he coaxed gently, trying to reach his desolate sister.

The sound of approaching footsteps drew his attention. Turning, he saw his older brothers, Rezef and Lucius, entering the room. "I heard what happened. Are you okay, Charlotte?" Rezef asked, his voice tinged with an unfamiliar softness. But Endymion noticed Charlotte flinch at the sound of Rezef's voice. "Shh, it's okay. Brother Rezef won't scold you," Endymion assured her, gently patting her head and brushing away the hair covering her tear-streaked face.

"N-No... don't come here..." she muttered, her voice trembling with fear. Endymion blinked in surprise, as did Lucius. Rezef's brow furrowed as he stepped forward, attempting to comfort her. 

But before he could speak, Charlotte bolted upright, her eyes wide with terror. "You are a monster! I hate you!" she screamed, her voice raw with emotion. She scrambled off the bed and darted out of the room.

"Charlotte!" Endymion shouted, springing to his feet and moving to follow her. But Rezef's hand on his arm stopped him. "Let her go. She's still upset about what happened to Father. She needs time," Rezef said, his voice strained, masking his discomfort.

Lucius eyed Rezef with suspicion, his silence heavy with unspoken questions. Endymion glanced between his brothers, feeling the tension thick in the air. The grief of their father's death had opened old wounds and revealed new fears, threatening to pull them apart when they needed to stand together.

Endymion's mind raced as he watched Charlotte disappear down the corridor. He couldn't shake the fear in her eyes or the venom in her voice. Rezef's attempt at reassurance felt hollow, his discomfort evident. Lucius seemed to be piecing together a puzzle that Endymion wasn't sure he wanted to see completed.

Whatever demons his sister faced, be they grief or fear, he would help her conquer them. 

And if those demons included his own brother, he would find a way to shield her from that pain too.

I will just going to hope it wasn't the case.

The room fell into an uneasy silence. Endymion's mind raced, trying to process Charlotte's outburst and the fear in her eyes. Rezef's actions had always been a source of tension, but this reaction from Charlotte hinted at something deeper, something darker. He would need to talk to her, understand what had frightened her so. For now, he watched as Rezef turned away, a shadow of doubt crossing his own features. Lucius, ever observant, seemed to share his unease.

"Endymion," Lucius finally broke the silence, his voice low. "We need to get to the bottom of this. Charlotte's fear... it isn't just about Father."

Endymion nodded, his resolve hardening. Whatever had caused this rift, they would uncover it. Their family had already suffered enough, and he would do everything in his power to protect Charlotte from further harm.