chapter 13

Tommy's concerns were valid, as his father's actions could have serious consequences for both of them. If his father continued to clash with the group, it could potentially lead to their expulsion or even put them in danger. Tommy knew that he needed to find a way to get his father to understand the gravity of the situation and adapt to their new environment. However, he also knew that his father was stubborn and unlikely to change his ways easily. The situation was becoming increasingly tense, and Tommy was beginning to feel the weight of his responsibility for his father's safety.

Tommy's dilemma was further complicated by his own complicated feelings towards his father. While he wanted to protect his father and ensure his safety, he also harbored resentment towards him for the way he had been treated in the past. This made it difficult for Tommy to fully trust his father and to make decisions that were in both of their best interests. He knew that he needed to find a way to balance his own feelings with the practical needs of the situation, but this proved to be a challenging task.
As the night wore on, Tommy began to consider his options more carefully.

Tommy knew that simply telling his father to be more careful was unlikely to have much effect, given his stubborn nature. He needed to find a way to appeal to his father's sense of self-preservation and make him understand the danger they were both in. At the same time, Tommy needed to find a way to deal with his own feelings of resentment and distrust towards his father, which were getting in the way of his ability to make clear-headed decisions.
One option that Tommy considered was to enlist the help of someone else in the group, someone who his father might be more likely to listen to.

Tommy decided to approach a member of the group who he felt might be able to reason with his father. This person was an older, respected member of the community who Tommy believed his father would respect.

"I need your help," Tommy said, pulling the man aside. "My father doesn't understand how serious this is. I'm afraid he's going to get us both in trouble if he doesn't start behaving himself."
The man listened patiently, then nodded in understanding. "I see. I'll talk to your father and try to make him see reason."

The man's intervention seemed to have an effect on Tommy's father, who began to be more cautious about what he said and did in the group. While the tension between Tommy and his father was still present, they were able to avoid any major conflicts or danger for the time being. However, Tommy knew that this was only a temporary solution, and that he would need to find a more lasting solution to their problem in the future.
As the night drew to a close, Tommy lay awake in his bed, his mind racing with thoughts about his father, the group, and the challenges that lay ahead.