chapter 4

When Tommy got home, he couldn’t stop thinking about everything that happened when he went into town.
He was lucky at first to meet miss Vivian and see so many places as well. He was determined to meet her again and hoped to gain some valuable cash this time around but he knew he couldn’t at the moment because he had only one fancy cloth and people would get suspicious of him if he wore only one outfit everyday in the estate.

He suddenly remembered miss Vivian giving him her hand scarf with her home address on it in case he wanted to meet her father about business and he instantly thought about writing letters  to her. He thought of a way to steal another per of clothes but this very moment wouldn’t be the best as he almost got himself and others in trouble the last time. He forgot about the idea of stealing clothes and immediately looked around his room for some clear paper and ink but couldn’t find any so he went ahead to sneak into his father’s room to check but still no writing materials. Maybe I should check the lovely old lady across the street? He thought to himself as he made his way to the front door. He didn’t want to waste much time so as to not loose his inspiration to write as soon as possible.

Fortunately enough, he was able to get some papers and ink to write to miss Vivian, he tried not to waste the paper and thought deeply on exactly what to write to her and Instantly the words flowed effortlessly into writing and in a few minutes, he was done and ready to deliver it to the mail man. He had no crest to stamp the letter so he just used candle wax to seal it up.

On his way to the mail man, an old man known as Mr. Parker called him by and asked about his father, he haven’t seen him a while now and wondered where he would be Tommy haven’t thought about his father for some days now as he was busy on accomplishing his goals. He too haven’t seen him in the house for  a while now but he didn’t bother  looking for him, he may be sleeping in a pile of garbage for all he care. He continued walking down the street and made a left turn till the mail house became visible to sight.

The mail office was quite cracked up due to the location of the neighborhood and was looking hope that his letter would reach miss Vivian and her family but he immediately pushed the thought away and delivered he letter. He made sure not to put his actual address, he didn’t want to make that kind of his mistake. He wouldn’t even dream of it in years to come.
This was the beginning of something new in his life and there was no stopping from what he wanted this time around. No more bullying, no more living in the slums, no more disrespect from the society. What he sees is money, fame and power.
He allowed himself to get caught up in the moment and after a few years of writing fake letters to different rich people and getting money from them, he blew up very quickly and became a popular writer from Manchester. Tommy loved the attention and respect he was given, but it never really was enough for him, he wanted more and that thought kept pulling him more and more into the darkness he somehow found himself in. He was so power hungry and self confident, he even started portraying the attitude of many selfish men in the uptown society. He did enter into a relationship with miss Vivian though but with the intention of gaining her father’s trust and sucking their wealthy carefully, she was after all his breaking point into him becoming successful.