Chapter 9

Michelle lounged on her couch, laptop in her lap. Even on her off day she was busy preparing for the work week. She picked up her phone and started rapidly adding information to her schedule. She glanced over at Patrick, who was sprawled over her armchair staring off into space. "Stop making that face. " She said with a roll of her eyes.

Patrick lolled his head to the side before turning to grin at his friend. "'Chelle, I am in love.”

The woman didn’t even bother to look up from her cell phone at the man’s declaration. She was too used to Pat throwing around that word and wise enough to know Patrick probably didn’t even know what it meant.  “It must have been some pretty good dick for you to say that.” She replied.

He hummed complacently. “Truly.”

She snorted and shook her head before shoving her phone back into her pocket.  Flipping her hair over her shoulder, she turned to look at him. “Was it that guy you were pining over?”

The blond man nodded.

“Well, onto the next one, aye?”

Patrick sat up straighter and shook his head. “I don’t think so. He’s… special.”

Michelle looked surprised when he said that but she still wasn’t buying into it. “Must be if he found you attractive.”

“ Say what you want but I’m serious.”

“Sure you are, Patty.” She replied as she reached over and patted his hand. He winced at the nickname. “Better break the news to Claurice that she’ s no longer arm candy for you. Poor thing. It’ll break her silicone heart.”

"It's Claudette. And no, she's still…convenient to have around." It was a hell of a thing to say about anyone, but it was true.

"She thought I was  your maid. And that we were having an illicit interracial affair behind her back. She also broke into your apartment."

“I didn’t say she was the brightest. I said she was useful.”

Michelle rolled her eyes and turned back to her computer. “Of course. The day you get involved with someone seriously is the day I shave my head.  Just be careful. Especially with someone who is married. Now put on a movie, you home wrecking whore. "

--

After his ‘meeting’ with Patrick, Marshall assumed that whatever it was he had going on with the man would fade away. And that everything would return to some semblance of normal.

How stupid.

Patrick didn't show any outward signs that anything had changed between them. At least, according to other people. But Marshall noticed the lingering touches when Patrick came over to his cubicle to discuss figures and charts and what haves, the secret smiles he would give him when he was certain no one was looking, as if they were schoolboys sharing a dirty little secret.

Well, they certainly weren’t schoolboys at least.

One lingering glance too many and Marshall realized he had to put a stop to it. It wasn’t that it was drawing attention to them but it made the brown haired man’s stomach knot up with an unfamiliar feeling that he knew he needed to get rid of. Before everything went to shit. Pushing away from his desk, he got up from his cubicle and weaved his way through people brushing past with mountains of paperwork in their hands. By the grace of god, he managed to get in front of the door to Patrick’s office without toppling someone over. Straightening his tie, he rapped on the door.

“Come in.”

He opened the door and stepped inside before closing it behind him. "We need to talk."