03. Beomgyu/Yeonjun

Beomgyu

Quanrui had a hard grip on the back of Beomgyu's head as he dragged him through the crowd toward the stage, then turned again and marched him toward the back of the lobby. "Stupid boy," he said. "Been looking for you. You'll hear about this, I swear. I'll let the dean know how unhelpful you have been."

"Please, Quanrui—"

"Shut your mouth. Useless boy. I don't know what others see in you. I, for one, can't see it. Clumsy like a duck crossing the street, with this hair..." He cuffed Beomgyu on the back of the head again, managing to grab and pull on his hair. "Pft. Are you keeping your wolf's pelt in human form, I wonder? It looks like fur."

It didn't. Beomgyu was sure of that, as his hair was quite long, but Quanrui wasn't looking for a discussion, obviously. In fact, Beomgyu could bet that Quanrui would have been more than happy to drag him onto the stage and give him a beating, or humiliate him in some other way if he hadn't been so stressed about his second performance.

Why was he so stressed? Quanrui was the best dancer there was. Beomgyu had watched part of the first one before he'd retreated to the bar to ask for a glass of water, and it had looked amazing, like always. He could never hope to attain such a level of perfection.

And not just in dance. In anything and everything from the way he dressed and styled his hair to performing well in class. Especially the sexual education class. His friend Gunwook had informed him that soon they would also start pregnancy, birth, and baby care classes. Beomgyu had no clue how that was supposed to go, but if the sexual education classes were any indication, he would be mortified through most of them. And...

"Stop daydreaming, or I'll hit you so hard you will see stars," Quanrui hissed and finally let go of Beomgyu who fetched up against the wall. There was a sign for the restrooms and further another bar, this one without a tree but with a projection of swimming koi fish on its white surface so that it looked like a pond. "Where the hell are the others?"

Quanrui's entourage of musicians was supposed to keep entertaining the guests while he changed, but the stage was currently empty.

And then they were there, approaching us, laughing and talking.

"What are you doing?" Quanrui hissed at them, his pretty face growing splotchy and red. "You were supposed to be up there, playing!"

"Oh, the hotel owner decided to interrupt to give a little speech," one of Quanrui's buddies, Inseok, said with a wave of his hand. "Look, he's getting up there now."

Indeed, a man in a gray suit—an alpha from the looks of it—was climbing onto the stage.

"Right. I should get ready. Go back and wait for me."

"Say, Quanrui..." Inseok winked. "Did he look at you?"

Who was he talking about?

Quanrui looked strangely diffident, and then he lifted his chin. "Of course, he looked at me, what do you think?" But judging by the way he was tugging violently at the sleeves of his delicate robes, one had to wonder.

Beomgyu blinked. So, Quanrui liked an alpha in the public? It now made sense why he was so nervous. Maybe Quanrui was also human, after all.

Quanrui pulled him through a door to a changing room beside the restrooms and he had no more time to wonder because all the layers of clothing he wore had to be carefully untied and removed so that the new costume could go on. Beomgyu had been taught to do this, the order in which the garments went on, the way to tie them. Traditional dance clothes were a complicated affair, and the fineness of the gauze and silk made matters even more difficult when your fingers were stiff and sweaty from nerves.