12: The Call to Arms

In the days following the confrontation, Hyunjin and his mother barely spoke. They moved through the same house as if the other were invisible, their once warm relationship now frosty and strained. Lady Hwang couldn't accept her son's love for a servant girl, and Hyunjin couldn't bring himself to renounce his feelings for Yeon-mi. The silence between them as heavy and oppressive, a constant reminder of the conflict tearing their family apart.

One morning, as Hyunjin was preparing to leave the house, a messenger arrived with urgent news. All able-bodied young men in the town were being called for military service to prepare the kingdom for an imminent war against Goryeo, a neighboring empire with rising tensions. The announcement sent ripples of anxiety through the town, and Hyunjin's heart sank as he realized the implications.

As the news spread, Yeon-mi's heart stopped when she heard it. She was in the kitchen, helping with the day's chores when a fellow servant rushed in with the news. Her hands trembled, and she sank to the ground, tears welling up in her eyes. The thought of Hyunjin was going to war was too much to bear.

Hyunjin, determined to see Yeon-mi before leaving, made his way to Lady Hwa-yeong's estate. With Lady Hwa-yeong's permission, he found Yeon-mi in the garden, her eyes red from crying.

"Yeon-mi," he called softly, his voice breaking her from her sorrowful thoughts.

She looked up, her eyes filled with a mixture of relief and despair. "Hyunjin, is it true? Are you being sent to war?"

Hyunjin nodded, stepping closer to her. "Yes, it is true. We have been called to serve. But I promise you, Yeon-mi, I will write to you as often as I can. Our letters will be our lifeline.

Tears streamed down Yeon-mi's cheeks as she clutched his hands. "Promise me you'll come back, Hyunjin. Promise me you'll stay safe."

Hyunjin pulled her into a gentle embrace, his heart aching with the knowledge of their impending separation. "I promise, Yeon-mi. I will do anything in my power to come back to you. Stay strong for me."

The day of departure arrived all too soon. Hyunjin, dressed in his military attire, stood with the other young men of the town, ready to march towards their uncertain future. Yeon-mi, with Lady Hwa-yeong's compassionate permission, stood among the families and loved ones bidding farewell.

As the soldiers began to move, Hyunjin turned one last time to look at Yeon-mi. Her eyes met his, and saw the depth of her worry and heartache. He managed a reassuring smile, though it pained him to leave her.

Yeon-mi's heart broke as she watched him march away. She stood there, staring in the direction in which Hyunjin had left, her mind filled with fears and hopes. Lady Hwa-yeong, standing nearby, felt a pang in her heart as she witnessed Yeon-mi's sorrow. She reached out and gently squeezed Yeon-mi's shoulder, offering silent support.

As the days turned into weeks, Yeon-mi waited anxiously for Hyunjin's letters. Each one was a beacon of hope, a reminder of his promise to return to her. She cherished every word, reading them over and over, finding solace in his love.

Hyunjin, amidst the harsh realities of war, found strength in his thoughts of Yeon-mi. He wrote to her as often as he could, sharing his experiences and holding on to the promise of their reunion. The letters were a testament to their enduring love, a connection that no distance or danger could server.