9: Confrontation and Understanding

The tension in the elegant sitting room was palpable as Lady Hwa-yeong and Lady Hwang sat facing each other, their expressions reflecting their contrasting emotions. Yeon-mi stood quietly by Lady Hwa-yeong's side, her hands clasped in front of her, while Hyunjin sat rigidly net to his mother, his gaze shifting nervously between the two women.

Lady Hwa-yeong, regal and composed, sipped her tea calmly before addressing Lady Hwang. "I understand your concerns, Lady Hwang. However, I must insist that Yeon-mi has done nothing to warrant such disruption. She is a valued servant in my household, and I trust her implicitly."

Lady Hwang, her demeanor rigid with barely concealed indignation, clenched her tea cup tightly. "Forgive me for my directness, Lady Hwa-yeong, but my son's reputation is at stake. Rumors of his association with a servant girl could tarnish out family's standing in society."

Yeon-mi felt a pang of unease but remained composed under Lady Hwa-yeong's protective gaze. She knew the delicate balance of their social statuses could tip against her any moment.

"Lady Hwang," Lady Hwa-yeong replied firmly yet respectfully, "I assure you, Yeon-mi is a person of integrity. Any misunderstanding or speculation must be addressed with prudence and consideration."

Lady Hwang's lips tightened, her eyes flickering briefly towards Hyunjin before settling back on Lady Hwa-yeong. "Very well," she conceded reluctantly, her tone laced with discontent. "I will relent this once, under the condition that such incidents do not repeat themselves."

Yeon-mi's heart raced with relief as she felt Lady Hwa-yeong's reassuring presence beside her. She knew this encounter could have ended much worse if not for Lady Hwa-yeong's steadfast defense.

As Lady Hwa-yeong and Yeon-mi turned to leave, the tension in the room seemed to dissipate slightly. However, just as they reached to doorway, Hyunjin rose abruptly from his seat, his voice tinged with urgency.

"Wait, Lady Hwa-yeong," he called out, his eyes searching for Yeon-mi's face. "May I have a moment with Yeon-mi?"

Lady Hwa-yeong regarded Hyunjin with a measured gaze before nodding slightly. "Very well, but make it brief."

Hyunjin hurried across the room, his steps quickening with each stride. When he reached Yeon-mi, he took her hand gently in his, ignoring the curious gazes of their mothers and the servants.

"Yeon-mi," he began earnestly, his voice barely above a whisper, "I'm sorry for everything you've had to endure because of me. Please know that I never meant to cause you harm or distress."

Yeon-mi looked up at him, her eyes softening with understanding. "I know, Lord Hyunjin," she replied quietly, her voice filled with a mix of gratitude and apprehension. "Thank you for trying to protect me."

Hyunjin squeezed her hand gently, a determined look in his eyes. "Yeon-mi, may I... may I write to you? Just letters, from time to time?"

Yeon-mi hesitated, her gaze flickering to Lady Hwa-yeong for guidance. After a moment, Lady Hwa-yeong nodded subtly, granting permission with a small smile.

Turning back to Hyunjin, Yeon-mi nodded. "Yes, Lord Hyunjin. With Lady Hwa-yeong's permission, I will gladly receive your letters."

A wave of relief washed over Hyunjin's features, and he smiled gratefully at Yeon-mi. "Thank you, Yeon-mi. I promise to be careful."

Yeon-mi returned his smile gently. "Take care, Lord Hyunjin. Do not get caught."

With that, Hyunjin reluctantly released her hand, allowing her to return to Lady Hwa-yeong's side. They exchanged a brief nod of understanding before Lady Hwa-yeong led Yeon-mi out of the room, leaving Hyunjin and Lady Hwang to contemplate the repercussions of their encounter.

As the door closed behind them, Hyunjin turned to his mother, his expression conflicted yet resolute. Lady Hwang regarded him sternly for a moment before sighing heavily.

"Hyunjin," she said finally, her voice tinged with resignation, "be mindful of your actions. Our family's reputation is fragile."

Hyunjin nodded silently, his thoughts lingering on Yeon-mi and the delicate balance between his heart's desires and his family's expectations.