Chapter 6: Jules & James

JULES:

I ran and ran and ran until I couldn't run anymore. I felt like giving up and surrendering to the tsunami heading towards me. Just as the waves got closer and closer, I turned around, I could've sworn I heard someone call my name.

Jules
...Jules
.....JULES

My eyes snapped open and the first thing I saw was James standing next to my sofa. I was going to go take a nap on my bed but I guess I ended up falling asleep in the living room. With Friends still running on the tv in the back.

"How'd you get in here?" I said and suddenly noticed how bad my throat hurt.
"I think you're forgetting I have the spare key"
"It's supposed to be used only for emergencies" Saying this, I also noticed the excruciating pain in my head.
"This is an emergency. You weren't picking up any of my calls or answering my texts nor were you answering the door. I got worried and used the key to get it just in case something happened to you"
He said all that in one breath and without taking his eyes off my paled face.

"Oh. I'm sorry, I guess my phone died. And I didn't hear the door."
With one glance at my phone next to me, I confirmed that it was indeed lifeless.
"It's okay" I looked up to see James looking at me with his eyebrows scrunched, as if he was trying to figure something out. His tense aura intensified when I winced at the pain in my head and tried to massage my temples.
"Are you alright?" With that he put his hand forward towards my throbbing head, trying to check for a fever. I guess I'll have to do some online shopping instead of going to the mall today. Couldn't be a worse time to get sick.
-------------------------------------------------
JAMES:

She was burning up. I could tell even before my palm fully touched her skin. She was looking at me with these tiny brown eyes before she held my hand and gave it a squeeze. If she didn't need my help right now, I probably would've let myself faint on her sofa. As soon as I recovered from losing my mind over a simple hand hold, I noticed she was clenching her stomach and making a face that screamed 'I'm in pain'.

I had her lay back down before taking my hand away from hers and going to get a heated pad. As soon as I stepped out of the room I missed her touch. Motivated by the thought of being able to hold her hand again, I quickly got the warm pad and went back to the living room.

The thing was though, she wasn't there.
"Jules?"
The sound of liquid hitting a solid coming from the bathroom gave me a hint of where she could be.
Just before I could even reach the bathroom, the door swung open with a miserable looking Jules stepping out.
"I think I'm sick" she said while wiping her face with a piece of toilet paper.
"You think? You just threw up and your body temperature is currently best friends with lava."
"I-" without completing the sentence, she ran back into the bathroom and doubled over the toilet, spilling who knows what into it.
"There there, you'll feel a little better once you let it all out.
"This sucks. I'm sorry" she said as she washed up once again
"No need to be sorry, it's fine. I'm glad I came, that way I can be here to nurse you back to health" I sent her one of my sweetest smiles and the tension in her shoulders went away immediately.
"Thank you" She said, presenting the smile that I fell for.

"Anytime. Now how about we get you to bed."
"Woah bro, too fast. The common etiquette is to treat the lady with dinner first then have your fun."
I couldn't help but laugh at her joke. She just vomited her guts out yet her dirty mind still worked flawlessly.
"I meant you need to get some rest. But of course, if you're so intrigued by how fast I can get a date into bed, I could always show you. Go on a date with me perhaps? We could time it."
Her wide eyes and blushed face didn't to unnoticed and definitely invited a smirk onto my lips.
"Uh- we'll see."
"So that means you're considering it?"
"No, what? No I'm not"
"Right. That would explain why you're picking at your skin. Something you only do when you lie"
She immediately stopped and turned away, heading towards her room with an exasperated expression.

Laughing at her sulking figure, I handed her the heat pad and sat down as she hugged her pillow and pulled the duvet up to her neck.
"I feel like I'm going to die"
"Hey don't say that. You'll be back to yourself in no time, I promise."
-------------------------------------------------
JULES:

With that, he excused himself and went out of the room. I know it shouldn't, but his absence bothered me. I don't why but I didn't like him not being by my side.

I was nearly asleep when James came back in with a bowl of hot soup.
"Hate to admit it, but that smells amazing."
"I thought your nose was congested"
"It is but I can sense that it smells great"
The deep chuckle gave me butterflies. Damn it.
"Germs are assholes." I said while sitting up to try his pleasantly smelling concoction.
"They definitely are."
"Mmm it's good. I think. I can't taste much of it but I guess it's good"
"That'll work, as long as it makes you feel better"

After finishing the soup that I assumed was delicious, I laid down and covered my whole body with the blanket. It felt like my room was set in Antarctica. James had gone to the bathroom after giving me medicine and threatening to eat all my ice cream if I didn't go to sleep. I had to admit, it felt nice having someone by my side when I could barely get out of bed. Just as I got comfortable, my mouth felt like a desert.

With James still in the bathroom, I got up myself. I felt a bit better now so I guess I could at least get myself some water.

Wrong. I was wrong. As soon as I started walking it felt like the whole world was spinning. Just as I thought my next bed would be the floor, I fell onto something- someone muscular and broad.

-------------------------------------------------
JAMES:

I came out of the bathroom after what felt like forever, never again will I eat Chinese from a truck for lunch. The first thing I see is Jules almost passed out, she was about to faceplant before I caught her in the nick of time.
"What were you thinking?" I couldn't resist the urge to scold her for her stupid act, no matter how unwell she was. Before replying, she stood up straight and held onto my forearm for support.
"You could've gotten really hurt, couldn't you just wait two more minutes?" She looked up at me, with an emotion sparkling in her eyes that I couldn't identify.
"I would've helped you, who knows what could've happened if I hadn't come in ti-"

She kissed me. Probably just to shut me up but whatever, she kissed me.