Chapter 5

Don't think about it don't think about it don't think about it KINKAJOU YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT oh good she didn't notice don't think about it don't think about it

Their winglet was getting together for a group discussion session. Apparently, that mainly involved everyone arguing. Actually, not everyone. Specifically, it was Sundew and Tsunami who were the main arguers. She did have a question to ask as part of the whole 'discussion' thing, but she certainly couldn't ask Moon, because Moon was trying to stop them arguing. And Peril was arguing with Qibli about... something? And Flurry was... well, Flurry wasn't doing much. He was just watching everyone fight, which was not much help.

Marabou had her wings folded over her, occasionally poking her head out to ask if everyone could maybe stop fighting. Nobody heard her. Well, actually, Kinkajou, Turtle and Blue heard her, but they weren't the ones fighting, so there wasn't much they could do about it.

A/N: Flurry is their IceWing and Marabou is their MudWing

Oh, and she had given her skyfire to Moon so she wouldn't get a headache, but Moon had said it would be a better idea to give it to Tsunami, because she was thinking particularly violent thoughts, but Moon wanted to be able to use her mind reading to resolve the argument.

But that meant she could read Kinkajou's mind. Her mind contained some stuff Kinkajou didn't want Moon knowing. And so she was trying to avoid thinking about Those Things. By using Cricket and Blue to distract her.

"Uh... Blue!" He turned his gaze to her, looking worried. "Yeah?" He prompted. "Tell me... uh- what's it like having no wings?" He frowned, thinking. 

"Well, it actually hasn't been that long since your Metamorphosis, now that you think about it." Cricket reminded him. "It's just that so much has happened since then."

He nodded thoughtfully. "Well, we always had the webs to make sure we didn't fall, so I guess it would have been similar to having wings. We just walked or climbed everywhere instead of flying."

Kinkajou nodded. Don't think about it. "But you guys have four wings, which would make flying a whole different experience." 

"It would, but since I've never tried flying with two wings, I guess we'll never know! Although..." Cricket trailed off. From what she knew about the HiveWing, she was likely trying to figure out a way to fix this problem. Which meant that she was about to start asking ques-

"Can I measure your wings?" Right on cue, there was the question. Beside her, Blue smiled. He had obviously predicted it as well. He was uncannily good as guessing how other dragons felt. Maybe it was a form of SilkWing mind reading. She giggled at the thought, and Moon glanced at her and smiled too.

Oh yeah. I forgot that Moon can read my mind. Oh no, any moment now she's going to hear that I have a huge crush on h- NO KINKAJOU. Think about sloths, think about sloths.

Moon tilted her head at Kinkajou questioningly. Hi Moon! I keep forgetting I don't have my skyfire. Moon said something, but at that moment, Tsunami growled something and drowned out her words.

"Don't you pull that card on me! Who grew back the trees on an entire continent?" Sundew retorted. "Oh, hm, was it Mandrake? I CAN'T REMEMBER." Snarled Tsunami.

At that moment, Marabou, Turtle, Blue and Moon spoke pleadingly. They all said different things, but everyone said something along the lines of 'Please can we stop fighting?' And everyone fell silent for a moment. Kinkajou took the opportunity, and demanded loudly (in case anyone started fighting again while she was speaking), "STOP ARGUING EVERYONE! THIS IS A SCHOOL FOR PEACE, SO WHY ARE WE SHOUTING AT EACH OTHER?"

Tsunami grumbled. Sundew was fuming. Peril literally fumed (as in, she was emitting alarming amounts of smoke and Turtle had to usher her out onto the ledge outside so she could calm down or they'd all choke). Qibli looked ashamed and annoyed. Marabou and Blue looked relieved.

They were all  looking at her. "Uh... don't fight." She told them lamely. Tsunami said loudly, "Why don't we make the hunting trip on the first discussion session of the year a tradition. Let's go everyone! Hunting!" Then she shot out of the room, nearly colliding with Peril on the way out, causing the copper dragon to hiss with alarm and jump out of the way, and in the process, she jumped onto Turtle's tail. 

Peril cringed in horror, but the scales she had touched were unblemished. "Oh, yeah, uh, I accidentally gave myself scales as hard as diamonds last year, and they're impenetrable, so I guess your firescales don't affect them! So, uh, you can touch me!" Turtle gave an awkward laugh. Kinkajou gaped, and Cricket rushed over, querying the SeaWing about it to the point that he seemed uncomfortable.

Qibli decided to save him, grabbing his talons and yanking him into the air. "Hunting, remember?" Turtle gladly followed the SandWing.

Blue patted Cricket on the back, and her disappointed expression was replaced with a grateful one. "I think he was a bit uncomfortable from all those questions." He gently informed her, and she nodded, sighing. she led the way out, and took off.

She was alone with Moon.

Without thinking, Kinkajou grabbed Moon's claws with her own, and pulled her out onto the ledge. In the pause before they took off, an awkward moment passed between them, and Kinkajou accidentally let her guard down. 

Moon inhaled softly. "I didn't know you felt about me that way." Kinkajou froze. Oh no oh no, no KINKAJOU YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT NOW SHE KNOWS

Moon let go of her talons and stepped back. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"I- it's fine. I'm sorry." Kinkajou shot a weak smile at her, then turned her back on her and took off. She kept her scales at a steady blue. I'm calm I'm calm I'm calm. This ISN'T HAPPENING.

"Kinkajou! I didn't-" Moon called desperately, trying to catch up to her. 

Kinkajou didn't look back. Catching an updraft, she rose up, into a cloud, and she was sure nobody could see her. 

She let her scales change, and they turned pink, the colour flowing just like the tears down her face.

I love you, Moon.