Chapter 6

Kinkajou avoided Moon for the next couple of days. She didn't really know why. I mean, I was planning to tell her one day, so surely now that it's out of the way, I could - 

No. The other part of her argued. I didn't want her to find out like this.

This battle with herself continued as she walked to Herbs and Healing. 

"Hey Kinkajou!" Blue appeared next to her, jolting her out of her thoughts. "Hey Blue." 

"Why are you avoiding Moon? On the first day you two seemed so close. Something changed before we went hunting, didn't it?" 

Why did he have to be so perceptive? "I... Yes. It did. I lent my skyfire to Tsunami and Moon read something in my mind that I didn't want her to." Kinkajou replied. 

"Oh." He answered. "Uh... What's skyfire?" "It's a rock that fell from the sky that can block a mind readers powers." She said.

He started to say something, but they arrived at the healing cave, and...

"Hi Peril!" Kinkajou greeted the smoking copper dragon as they entered the cave. "She looks angry." Blue observed quietly. 

"She is." 

"Why?" 

"I don't know!" 

"Maybe she can't take part in the class for one reason or another." 

"Maybe."

"SHHHHHHH!" Peril growled at them.  

"Sorry!" Blue said.

Once they were seated, and the entire class was staring at them, Clay started the lesson. 

"Today we'll be learning about the different healing properties of common herbs."

"Like thyme,  or oregano, or basil." Sundew added dryly before Clay could continue. "Uh..." Clay, flustered, checked the notes on his desk. "That's correct." 

Kinkajou saw Flurry roll his eyes. "Oh sure, flaunt your tribe's abilities all you want. This is meant to be a school of equality, you know."

Clay turned to the IceWing. "Why don't you tell us your knowledge of common herbs?" 

He spluttered. "What- I don't- the entire point of what I said was that she knows all about this stuff because she's a LeafWing. That's not fair to the rest of us dragons!"

Their whole winglet turned to look at him. "Would you care to elaborate, Flurry?" Sundew growled at him. "Uh, no, I didn't mean-"

"She does know all about this stuff, Flurry, but I don't think it has anything to do with her tribe, I think it's because she was raised to know about it." Blue added in helpfully. "I bet you know all about... uh... IceWing stuff?"

Flurry scowled. Clay swallowed and continued the lesson, but nobody spoke to Flurry for the rest of the day.

↟ ↟ ↟