Chapter 13 | Genius Lab

Y O O N G I | P O V
╰━━━━━∙⋆⋅⋆∙━━━━━╯

I remember it like it was yesterday when Jungkook discovered this place back in our teenage years. It was a cold, rainy day in September, exactly a day after his birthday. Jungkook and Jimin had one of those legendary fights—so intense and mysterious that to this day, nobody knows the true reason behind it. Those stubborn fools never cared to share the details.

I didn't even know they had fought that day. I was deep into writing songs when Jin hyung and Jimin burst in, asking if I'd seen Jungkook. They told me he had left the dorm, where we were supposed to be practicing for our debut as idols. They mentioned they had a fight but didn't provide anymore details.

He'd been gone for about eight hours, and they couldn't reach him on his phone. That's when the real worry set in. We searched everywhere and began fearing the worst. Our stomachs twisted with anxiety. We even went to the police, but they told us they couldn't declare someone missing until twenty-four hours had passed. So, we had no choice but to keep searching ourselves.

Five more grueling hours passed before my phone finally rang with his name flashing on the screen. He was crying, saying he was lost and didn't know where he was. As his big brother and self-proclaimed hero, I followed his vague descriptions of the area. There were no signs or names back then—just an abandoned warehouse. He said he was at a park behind it. This spot, now a serene place with a fast-food chain, was once just an empty, abandoned lot.

After that incident, it became a pattern. Every time Jungkook was upset or got into an argument, he'd vanish like a ghost. We all got used to it, as strange as it sounds. Whenever he had a problem, he'd leave without a word and only to come back once he felt okay again.

Years later, Jungkook told us that out of all the places he could go, this spot was always his first choice whenever he needed to disappear. Somehow, it became his magical hideout, a place that could calm him down when nothing else could.

So, I brought Y/N here. I had a feeling she wanted to see Jungkook, even though she didn't say it outright. There was something in her eyes, a silent wish I couldn't ignore. But when we looked around, there was no trace of him.

We sat down on the same park bench where I first found Jungkook when he ran away. With our takeout in hand, Y/N and I sat there together. I'll be honest, it feels weird sitting next to her like this. My body is electricfied and tense as well. But I try to stay cool. The park was almost deserted, except for two teenagers on the other side, engrossed in a TikTok dance trend. Other than that, it was just us—and definitely no sign of Jungkook.

I glanced over at Y/N, who seemed lost in her own thoughts. Her eyes were closed as she took a deep breath, letting the ambiance wash over her. For a moment, it felt like she forgot I was even there. She wasn't doing anything special, yet she looked stunningly beautiful. It took my breath away. Her hair, casually gathered in a messy bun, was still effortlessly gorgeous. Her skin, so inviting, and the face that I could admire every day. I swallowed hard, trying to suppress the emotions stirred by simply observing her.

I move away my gaze when she opens her eyes and look at my direction. "It's nice here. Like a magic place." Shocked at her words, because that's exactly how Jungkook describe this.

I know it's natural to feel awkward around her, given our history. She was almost my girlfriend—almost. And now, she's dating my brother. Despite all that, I hope things can eventually feel normal between us, that we can just be friends. I want our brief past to fade into the background, another detail swept under life's rug. And I'll make a promise to myself to stop seeing her in that old, familiar way, to remind my heart that those feelings are in the past.