Chapter 5

Lux had thought himself quite ready for whatever might come at him after what Siberia put him through. The life style there was anything but safe after all. One had to develop all sorts of skills to survive there. Said skills had embolded him with a good deal of confidence. But Lux was now face with an unforseen and greatly annoying trial : school.

Was there anything more boring ? Compared to Siberia, school was so agonaisingly slow, he felt like sleeping through the whole day. The prospective that je was now force to waste years of his life here horrified him more than to fight a pack of Honkai Beasts alone.

While he did understand that school was necessary, his was a different case.

'I pick up things too quickly.' That conclusion echoed inside his head as he answered the teacher's questions. No, pick up was the wrong expression. He felt like he had done this countless times before. Lux had deduced that he may recall that due to the CRDRP, but something countered that hypothesis. Writing.

If the CRDRP was indeed giving him memories of his school days, then it was only logical that he should remember writing words, numbers and equations, and such. Yet, that act stood out by how unfamiliar it was to Lux. 

'Yet another unsolvable mystery. It's seriously beginning to get old.'

Getting along with his classmates was also provin to be...challenging, for lack of a better word. Lux gradually realised that his mental age was removed from children of his age. That was quite obvious since he found it a hassle to feign a public mask, so it could be said Lux reaped what he sow. Nonetheless, he was enjoying his new life, aside from a few issues. 

... 

Lux had crafted an elaborated lie to establish a standing with the authorities upon his arrival in Europe. 

"My parents tries to escape from Siberia with me but were killed by bandits before making it to England. Someone they paix beforehand led me here." 

Okay, maybe not so elaborated. His English was kinda rudimentary too. But they accepted it. Lux knew of course that his papiers weren't enough proof, but that was all they would get their hands on. No traces or any hints as to how he got here existed. Adding on the fact that they had someone that looked like a poor, abandoned child refugee in front of them finished to convince them. 

But even though his plans had proven effective, he stumbled upon an unexpected complication.

The society of today expected children that went through his experiences to be deeply scared mentally. Well, they weren't wrong, but Lux wasn't suffering such problems. No to say he was perfectly alright psychologically, but nothing that warranted weekly sessions with a psy. What a pain. 

... 

His curent life style wasn't 'surviving' anymore. It was 'living'. And adaptating to that novel notion was...hard. The brutal change was harsh. Maybe this could be called the most important struggle for him. 

Lux had problems sleeping well at night. The orphanage's bedrooms had multiple beds, so Lux no longer slept alone. For him who had always close his eyes on his own, rzlaxing in that situation was a True challenge. To resolve this, he took many tasks during the day, as much as he could to exhaust himself. But even if he did manage to get some shut-eye using this method, every time any of his roommates mumbled in their sleep or moved just a little, Lux would wake up. And as if that wasn't enough, people were getting worried he was forcing himself by working so hard.