You need a friend...|| IX

*Henry's POV*

You don't have to be a genius to know that I was suffering...and all this time, I've had my suspicions of who committed this atrocity against me. I watch as Clay walks toward me, a flabbergasted expression on his face, as if he'd seen a ghost. I open the door to go back inside, yet, I don't break eye contact with him. He's dripping water onto my porch, and I look down at his feet, a puddle pooling from all of the rain water he had collected. He laughs nervously, apologizing to me as he steps back out into the rain.

"I don't mind. It'll dry soon enough." I smile softly, grabbing his wrist and pulling him back under the safety of the porch roof. "Don't want to get a cold, do you?" I ask him, and he rolls his eyes.

"Treating me like a child now, huh? I think a grown man like me can handle a cold." Clay crosses his arms, looking down at me. A smile is plastered along my face, and it's the first ounce of happiness I've felt in a long time. Clay must notice this, because he points out my smile. "It's been a while since I've seen you do that. Maybe you should loosen up and be happy once in a while. We're too young to dwell on the past."

"Well, losing your wife and your kid isn't exactly hard to forget, and besides, it's going to take me a while to even come to terms with what happened to my little girl."

Clay puts a hand on my shoulder, resting it there. "Well anytime, if you need a friend...you know exactly where to look." Clay drops his hand back down to his side, "I have to go back to the station, but you have to promise me you won't do anything irrational."

I promise him that, and he walks off to his car. Watching as his vehicle goes down the road, I speak quietly to myself, "Anytime you need a friend.." Smiling softly, I walk back inside my home.

*Clay's POV*

"CLAY! Where the hell have you been?! Jessica quit her job!" Augustine rushes out of her office, and the words are like a slap to the face. She'd get even angrier knowing that I already knew this information.

"I was doing my job, that's where I was." I cross my arms, attempting to act nonchalant.

Augustine grabs my wrist, practically dragging me to her office. She shuffles through her papers on the messy desk, "Do you know why she made this decision all of a sudden?" She asks, dropping down to her chair and rubbing her forehead.

"You know Henry's her son-in-law.. I don't think she has it in her to arrest him if he is the one behind all of this.." I attempt to reason with her, and she unties her hair, running a hand through her messy curls.

"Gah, that fucking SNAKE he is! We were so damn close, and she decides to just completely drop it?! What the hell!" She raises her voice, and my eyes widen.

Augustine rants for quite some time, and I swallow nervously before speaking, "I actually don't think Henry's the one behind all of this..especially not his own daughter's murder!"

Augustine shakes her head, "The only one who seems to be giving him the benefit of the doubt is you, Clay. You trusted him with your son, and now his daughter wound up dead!" She sighs, seeming to attempt to calm herself down. "Just...the cards aren't exactly dealing in his favor."