Fighting rain, blood, and trolls

Contrasting the clear sky from last night, there were now looming dark clouds as far as the eye could see, the threat of rain closing in on them faster than anyone had expected. When they packed up in the morning, preparing to leave, the clouds on the horizon were few and far between, falsely leading them to believe this was going to be a clear day. But by the time noon rolled around, the wind had picked up and threatening clouds had taken up the entire sky, blocking out the last rays of sunshine. The rain started soon after with very little indication of the sky clearing up anytime soon.

Within minutes, the entire company got drenched to the core. Their cloaks did very little to protect them from the harsh conditions, and there started to be some worry about the state of their provisions. Emma had it slightly better, the old and weathered hat protecting her face and neck from most of the rain, and the shotgun chaps she had pulled out of her saddlebag at lunch served as a bit of protection for her legs. The ponies were struggling to find their footing in the slippery mud, and all hope of spotting wildlife tracks had been washed away with the rain.

That day, light banter and small talk still flowed easily between them. Siblings squabbling as siblings often do, while the older ones softly shook their heads in fond exasperation. But when after three days the rain still hadn't stopped, there was only silence or petty arguments. Emma especially had taken to arguing with whoever was assigned to keep an eye on her, pushing everyone to their limits trying to see what made them tick.

Dwarves, she found, were incredibly proud in anything that they do, so insulting their pride and lineage was a sure way to make even the kindest dwarf upset. Of course, most didn't go down with a fight, happily throwing insults right back at her, causing the rift between the lone woman and the company to grow bigger every day. Honestly, most of the dwarves didn't deserve her foul attitude, but her hands were so cold she could barely move them, and the constant eyes on her back made her feel incredibly nervous. She was cold and tired and every little thing was starting to irritate her, so much so that even Bofur decided to keep his distance for now.

She should have known, after nearly fifteen years, that this was a sign that her cycle was soon to come, and yet every month she found herself surprised by the blood staining her undergarments. This day was no different, and even the least observant dwarf could notice the obvious bad mood following her around like a thundercloud after she went to relieve herself.

She knew how to deal with it just fine, that was not the problem. But having to deal with both her cycle and the worst weather she's seen in years simply sounded like too much. Being stuck in the routine of fifteen males only made matters worse, and no longer being able to take her sweet time with simple tasks like she used to do back home momentarily became the one of the worst things to happen to her. She would simply have to suck it up and deal with it.

The company too would just have to deal with it. How familiar they were with a woman's cycle was unknown to her, but she knew that some of them at least had wives– she asked Gloin about his family on the first day, and when every dwarf within earshot simultaneously groaned, she knew that she'd made a mistake. The only time he did not act as if she was a fly on the wall, was when he was telling stories about his 'wee lad'. He spoke of his wife in high regard as well, but stories about his son were his favorite.

She did not plan on telling anyone about it – she saw no reason to – but maybe some of them were smart enough to figure it out on their own. She doubted it though, with this weather she would be surprised if anyone still had it in them to care about anyone but themselves.

It was now the fourth day of this quite frankly ridiculous downpour, and Emma felt ready to crawl underground and never return to the surface again. Since the last day the wind had picked up so much that her hat was rendered useless, as the rain was blown right in her face. If she did not end up with a cold after this, it would be a miracle. Many of the dwarves probably felt similar, she mused. Dori even went as far to ask Gandalf to do something about the weather. To which the damned wizard replied, "It is raining, master dwarf, and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world you should find yourself another wizard."