37.

On entering the foyer of the penthouse, a mouthwatering aroma greeted me, wafting from the kitchen. My stomach growled in response, reminding me that I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast. Following the enticing scent, I found myself in the kitchen doorway, watching as Giuseppe bustled around with pots and pans.

He was humming a cheerful melody, bobbing his head and moving his shoulders, completely absorbed in his own little world. The sight brought a warm smile to my face. I loved that he enjoyed what he did. "Smells amazing." I let out, making my presence known.

Giuseppe turned. His dark eyes twinkled. "Ah, la nostra bella moglie!" He rushed to me. "You back. Have you eaten? Are you hungry? I cook something very special for dinner tonight. Will be ready soon."

I smiled. His English was improving, but his thick Italian accent still colored every word, making his speech melodic in its own way. "What are you making?"

"Is... how you say... famous dish from Italia. My mamma used to make it for me. It is called Osso Buco."

"It sounds wonderful, Guiseppe. I can't wait to try it."

He grinned. "Grazie. Your day must have been tired. Go on, refresh yourself."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Freshen up, Guiseppe. You mean 'freshen up.'"

"Ah, che palle." He sighed, shaking his head. "English hard sometimes."

"You're doing just great," I reassured him.

"Ah, wait!" He suddenly snapped his fingers. "A letter." He wiped his hands on a towel and reached into his apron pocket, pulling out a neatly folded envelope. "It came for you today."

"Oh," curiosity piqued, I accepted the letter from him. "Thank you."

"Prego."

I smiled once more before stepping out of the kitchen.

As I started up the stairs, I carefully tore open the envelope and pulled out the letter inside. The header read "Briarwood General Hospital," which made my heart start to race.

I had been anxiously waiting for their response to my application for weeks now.

My stomach churned as I read the contents:

Dear Sienna Bardot,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted for the position of Auxiliary Nurse at Briarwood General Hospital. Your application and qualifications have impressed us, and we believe you will be a valuable addition to our team.

Your training is scheduled to begin on the 16th and will span five days, during which you will be introduced to our procedures, policies, and the various departments within the hospital.

Please report to the Human Resources office at 9:00 AM to complete your onboarding process.

We look forward to welcoming you to Briarwood General Hospital and wish you the best in your new role.

Sincerely,

Dr. Emily Roberts
Director of Human Resources
Briarwood General Hospital

My lips parted with a sharp breath. Oh my God. I couldn't believe it—they accepted me! A surge of happiness bubbled up inside me. This day just kept getting better.

Ooooouuuu!

When I reached our bedroom, I carefully hid the ultrasound photos where I knew they would be safe.

Needing the comfort of a hot shower, I walked to the bathroom. As I stripped off my clothes, my eyes caught my reflection in the mirror. Weeks ago, my skin had been a canvas of bruises and pale patches. Now, it had regained its color, and the bruises were gone, save for that one stubborn blotch on my abdomen which now served as a constant reminder of how close I'd come to losing everything.