Chapter 14

You blinked your eyes open, the morning light filtering in through the curtains. You felt a bit disoriented, your mind foggy with the remnants of your rather unpleasant dream.

Slowly, you sat up, taking in your surroundings; at first glance you knew this wasn't your room. It was Ayane's.

"Oh, you're awake", you turned your attention towards Ayane who was standing at the door wrapped in her bath towel.

"Why am I in your room?".

She plopped down on the bed next to you, "You don't remember huh? You fell asleep while telling me about the specimen you encountered at the mall".

You mouthed an 'Oh' as you rubbed your eyes, trying to remove the remnants of sleep.

"Try not to think about it. We can't have any negative vibes today. I've already taken a bath, you should go take one too. I'd like us to make the most of our day at the beach".

'Right... I forgot about that'

"You forgot about it didn't you?", Ayane shook her head as you nodded, "Of course you did".

You got up, heading for your room to grab your towel. There was no getting out of this one, you supposed. Besides, perhaps you ought to let yourself relax just this once.

Then again, it's really hard to relax with all the debts you have to settle. Thanks to Kaiser, your college tuition won't be a bother for a while but there are still payments here and there you have to make.

You've even been avoiding your mother's calls because somehow she always knows when you're lying about your health. She would throw a fit if she found out how much you had been working.

You know very well that she'd tell you to stop overworking yourself but you just can't. If you were to stop working then she would have to start working to pay off the debts. And you don't think she is fit enough to go back to work.

So you have no choice but to continue doing your best. It's the least you could ever do for all your mother has done for you.

-------------

After you and Ayane got dressed, you both packed a beach bag with essentials — sunscreen, towels, snacks, beach mat, beach umbrella and lots of water.

You also made sure to put on sunscreen before leaving the house.

You wore your swimsuit underneath your T-shirt and shorts so it'd be easy to change at the beach.

You got into Ayane's car and you both were off. Apparently, Shidou, Karasu and Ishizaki would be heading to the beach together.

As for the German man... You know nothing. After letting him see you that way yesterday, you're not sure if you want to face him again.

By the time you got to the beach, there was hardly anywhere for Ayane to park her car.

"You should go and get us set up, I'll look for a place to park", She dropped you off at the entrance to the beach with the beach bag and drove off to find somewhere to park.

You stepped down the mini stairs to the golden sand sparkling under the afternoon light. You could hear the sound of waves crashing against the shore, mingling with the distant call of seagulls.

The sand was cool and soft under your sandals. You were itching to take them off and just walk around barefooted.

"Y/nnnnn", you halted your movements of looking for an empty spot when you heard someone call your name.

As you turned around, you were pulled into someone's embrace, beach bag sliding off your arm onto the sand.

"Hey— who?"