Ψ. ya deadbeat.

Ψ . . . SAIKI EXCHANGED A GLANCE WITH Gojo. Immediately, they bolted out of the convenience store.

It'll be faster if we teleport—

Saiki didn't have a chance to finish the thought. He nearly dropped his cake roll as Gojo seemed to teleport in midair, appearing a few feet away before disappearing and reappearing even further away.

Saiki's mouth went dry. Not quite teleportation. More like preternatural speed, likely some extension of Limitless.

And Gojo was just using it out in the open, heedless of everyone on the street.

As if Saiki didn't have enough to worry about with them.

Saiki exited the convenience store and slipped around to its back. After checking that no one was looking, he teleported himself to the copse of trees he'd spotted near the playground.

Gojo was already there, shoving the last of the cake roll into their mouth. They looked on as Toritsuka dragged himself away on the ground, a man looming over him.

This would be the "enormous, homeless brute" from Aiura's premonition. Saiki wasn't one to comment on people's appearances, but the man gave him pause.

He was tall and seemed to be built of pure muscle. It was obvious even under the rumpled long-sleeved shirt and pants he wore. His dark hair was shaggy and unkempt, skimming his ears and falling into flat, empty eyes.

"Get up," he commanded Toritsuka, his tone bored. "I barely touched you."

"I-I-I won't let you get near him!" Toritsuka squeaked. "He's just a kid, you sicko!"

"I know that. Why do you think I'm trying to get him?"

Toritsuka was so scared his teeth were clacking together. He scrabbled away from the man, and his entire face slackened when he spotted Saiki and Gojo.

"Help me, guys! Aiura and Megumi have a head start but I don't know how far they managed to get. This guy is no joke! He shoved me to the ground like it was nothing!"

"You tripped," the homeless man deadpanned.

"He shoved me!" Toritsuka shrieked.

If only the girls could see you now, Saiki thought.

"Are you two his friends?" the homeless man asked. "Listen, cut the bullshit and tell me where the kid is. I don't have all day."

"You predators just get more and more bold," Gojo said, wiping the crumbs from their mouth. They helped Toritsuka to his feet. "What do you even want the kid for?"

"That's none of your business."

"Why don't we call the police and see about that?"

The homeless man rolled his eyes skyward. "Will you just tell me where the kid is? I'm trying to get home."

Gojo barked a laugh. "Why? So you can stuff him in your basement with the rest of your victims?"

Toritsuka was still shaking like a leaf. Saiki pulled him impatiently to the side and sat him down at a bench. Something was off here. The homeless man's persistence for Megumi aside, he didn't seem to mean any of them harm. Saiki wasn't even sure he was homeless.

Gojo, what if this man is a relative of Megumi's? Actually, what if he's his father?

Yeah, right. They look nothing alike. Plus, you don't wear that kind of trashy clothing unless you're homeless.

Speaking from experience?

The homeless man rolled his eyes and made to step around Gojo. "I don't have time for this."