Chapter 10. Mask

━━・❥・━━

━━・❥・━━

Wooyoung stands in front of the closed door, hovering, nearly stuck in place as he listens to the mumbles of a conversation he likely wasn't supposed to hear.

Everything he feared, the rejection and the disappointment, coursed through his veins with irrevocable speed. It was as if he was a deer in the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, standing there, blinded by the blink of reality that he'd be subject to life-threatening injuries that would soon render him lifeless. He was fully prepared to succumb to this, to fall weakly and allow himself to break, but at the feeling of San's hand wrapping around his wrist, he allowed himself to be pulled away, safe from the oncoming car and the worrying conversation that he knew he shouldn't have been privy to.

"C'mon," San ushers, gently coaxing Wooyoung down the steps. "We can talk somewhere else."

Wooyoung nods, blinking himself to life and away from the haze that rendered him utterly speechless, trapped in a place of fear and unrelenting anxiety, words somehow unable to be formed and lost in the depths of his throat.

They move down the stairs and into the living space, breezing past a laughing Jongho, who was seemingly lost in the throws of social media. Wooyoung followed San with light steps, trying to reclaim the scape of his mind away from the depth of his rampant anxiety, one that he knew was trying to crawl up his spine with long, tendril-like fingers, grasping onto any sense of composure that it could to fuel the inevitable fire of an anxious meltdown.

Wooyoung was avoiding his feelings, trying to bury it all deep down, swallowing the fear and the worry for the sake of enjoying what he had presently. Rather than choosing to push San away in complete fear of losing their career, Wooyoung chose to keep him close, to pull strength from his essence and stand triumphantly through this chaos, even if he felt like the foundation he had been standing upon was crumbling beneath his feet.

It was hard to see out of this haze, formed by an anxious swirl of thoughts that slowly became suffocating, yet the moment Wooyoung steps outside, feeling the warmth of the sun on his skin, his mind jumps back to the present, soaking in the warmth of San's hand on his wrist. Wooyoung looks up, blinking rapidly, feeling as his jaw tightens momentarily before relaxing.

"Hey, it's okay," San says quietly. "Let's talk about it."

Wooyoung nods, taking a breath, allowing himself to relax at the sound of San's steady breaths and warm presence. It didn't truly matter how Wooyoung had San. They could be sitting together, laughing together, laying in bed or secretly holding hands in the back of the van; it didn't matter. San was a source of comfort, in his every breath and in his every word. San was his home, a place of solace and a place of levity from a storm that sought to ruin his everyday life.

With a careful tug, San leads him towards the pool, slowly walking down the steps that led into the cool water. Wooyoung hesitated for a moment before following, letting the chlorinated water cool his skin, washing away the hesitance and the anxiety the further he trekked down the steps and towards San.