Chapter 15

I do not know how long I stayed kneeling at her bedside. I must have fallen asleep at some point because when I woke, I was back in my chambers.

I looked out my window to find that it was almost day. I took in a deep breath trying to dispel the gnawing hurt I felt in my heart. 

It occurred to me that I did not know of Ally's condition. I had failed to ask the physician and I was carried away before I had the chance to. 

I had no way of knowing if she was getting better or worse.

Worse, I did not know who took me off her bed and into my chambers. I hoped it was not done by Father's orders. Or Mother's orders. I was not ready to explain myself to them just yet.

My stomach grumbled, telling me how famished I was. My immediate instinct was to ignore it but I could not. The hunger made me weak and dizzy and soon I couldn't think of much except food and Ally.

There was a knock on the door.

    "May I come in, my Lord?" Savi said.

    "You may." I said weakly.

Savi walked in. 

    "How do you feel, my Lord."

    "I am famished, Savi. Get me some food." I ordered.

    "My Lord, the King requests your presence at the dinner table this morning. I am afraid I can not bring food into your chambers now as it is close to dinnertime and for that, I apologize." He said with a bow

I rubbed my brow.

    "Then get me dressed Savi. I have little strength." 

    "As you wish, my Lord."

Savi did as he was told in the quick timely fashion I knew too well, yet for he was not fast enough. By the time I arrived at the dinner table, I felt I could eat a horse.

Mother seemed pleased to see me on my feet. So did Marla and Derrick. They must have been waiting for me because their meals had not been touched.

I bowed slightly before I sat down.

    "How are you son?" Mother asked me.

    "Famished." I said lightly.

Mother chuckled whilst Derrick laughed at my response.

    "Then let us not keep you waiting. We shall say a prayer to the Moon Goddess."

Mother said the prayer as we were accustomed.

Our meal for the morning was potatoes, steak and a side of fruits and vegetables. The moment she was done with the prayer, I began to eat.

    "How is the rogue?" Father asked me as I ate.

I put down my fork slowly as I wondered why he would ask me. Or perhaps, he had me carried out.

I glanced at Derrick briefly. He looked like he was hiding something, mischievous as usual.

    "I do not know. I did not speak to the physician about her health." I said.

    "You did not? I find that strange considering how concerned you were about her." Mother said.

    "And you did go to her bedside yesterday." Father added.

Mother looked surprised at his words. A small smile crossed her lips.