Chapter 37

Zoey p.o.v

The surgery is over, the bullets were successfully removed and the doctors declared that he's stabilized. But would still be kept under close observation, which is good.

I was with Marco throughout the operation, he was half conscious when I arrived and he held unto my hand not letting go even after he went unconscious.

I didn't mind been in the emergency room with him where the surgery took place, even though the sight would cause me my meals for a week. I was in fact grateful that he still thought of me in his weak shape.

Right now they are preparing to transfer him to a room, that is when his grip on my hand loosen. I reluctantly let go and came out of the room, Marco's families were in the hallway waiting anxiously to good news.

"How did it go? Is my son okay? Please tell me." His mom was the first to come to me, throwing questions at me. His dad came behind her, run his large hand on her shoulder to calm her.

"He's fine, the doctors said he's now stable." I delivered, I saw the visible tension leaving their faces. They relaxed against each other, smiles spread on the faces.

Even his dad who always wear this stoic expression, heave a sighed of relief. His features relaxed as his while went limb against him. A smile almost broke out on my face by the sight, I truly adore the chemistry between this couple and I wish to have the same someday.

"Zoey are you okay?" Camilla came beside me, concern spread on her face as she watch me intently.

I gave a nod, because honestly I was far from being okay. The amount of guilt eating me up is something I can't overcome, I am responsible for all this shit.

"Zoey, you know this isn't your fault, Marco won't blame you and neither of us." Luciano butted in, trying to comfort me.

It would have worked if I wasn't aware of how it all happened.

"Where is Rebecca?" I asked, my eyes swept the hall for her but I didn't spot her any where.

"Marco had already prepare her flight before going to get her, she left the country before Marco got shot." Luciano explain while I nod in understanding.

I still owe her an apology.

"Thank you Zoey." Marco's mom held my hands tenderly.

For what? I wanted to ask but Aunt Tricia beat me to it.

"For staying with our Marco and giving him the strength he needs to push through." Aunt Tricia said, caressing my face. They both pulled me into a hug, I burst out sobbing against them.

How could they even forgive me? And still welcome me in.

"It's not your fault dear." Marco's mom soothe me. I eventually stop sobbing and calm down, I am relaxed when I saw everyone smiling at me warmly.

Marco's dad patted my head stiffly and gave a single nod before stepping down, may be go to see the door in his office.

•••••

It's been three long days since Marco was rushed to the hospital. He's been lying motionless in the bed, his body almost lifeless, except for his skin, which has been slowly regaining its healthy glow.

The doctors are baffled by his condition, unable to explain why he remains unconscious.

I've been by Marco's side this entire time, refusing to leave him alone even for a moment. It's my duty to be here, to hold his hand and offer him comfort, even if he can't hear me.

I watch his chest rise and fall with each breath, praying for the moment when he will finally open his eyes and return to us.

The doctors have been monitoring his progress closely, and there have been small signs of improvement. His vital signs are stable, and his skin, once pale and sickly, is now slowly regaining its natural color.

The doctors have been amazed by this unexpected development, but they still can't provide any answers as to why he's still unconscious.

Marco's mom along side with his grandmother, these two never fail to come see him every waking hour. I'm so in love with how together and connect this family are, their love for each other was what made longed to be a part of them.

"My dear, how are you doing dear?" Marco's mom asked then pulled me into her warm hug.

"I'm doing fine." I replied with a weak smile on.

"Come here dear." Old Mrs Alfonso pulled me into her arms. She patted my head, while relaxed against her.

"You've gone through a lot, dear." she added, I saw Marco's nods her agreement. I sighed, both mentally and physically drained. My eyelids dropping the exhaustion finally kicking in.

"You should go home and take a good sleep, you need my dear." Old Mrs Alfonso added, smoothing my hair.

I f shook my head in disagreement.

"I don't want to leave." I pout in a weak voice, the last of rest is actually showing in every inch of my body.

"You have to, dear. If you stay here any more longer, you might just collapse and we don't want that." Old Mrs Alfonso persuade.

"Mom, is right baby, we don't want have in the hospital bed as well. And I don't think Marco is going to be happy of how you treating yourself for his sake." Marco's mom butts in, her words hitting right where they should.

I don't want Marco to see me in this state, disheveled and unkept, smelling even.

"So... You go take a rest?" She ask when she saw my defeated look. I gave her a nod, "Good girl, we will stay here and look after him, okay?" They both gave me a kiss on the cheek, before I left the room.

Stepping outside the room, I met Marco's dad. I won't lie, this man still intimidates me to the core, I haven't caught a glimpse of him smile once. His expression has been trained to remain stoic even in scary situations, I froze when his stare fixed on me.

He was giving instructions to the guards that scattered around this floor, I heard this entire floor was reserved for Marco alone. That means aside from the guards we are the only ones in here.

He made his way to me, I was tempted to run the other way but I stood my ground.

"Zoey? Where are you going to." His bass voice bounce off the walls, frightening me a little.

"I'm going home." I told him, he wore a thoughtful look for a while before he said something.

"The driver will drop you, you can't go alone." He said matter of fact, which I nod to.