Part 35

"Finally, land!" Ella cheered as I helped her out of the boat and onto the deck.

The sun had set, and the soft glow of lanterns illuminated a small town off the island. The exhaustion of rowing was replaced by a sense of relief as we set foot on solid ground. Scanning the area, I could see a few ships anchored in the harbor. We could steal one early in the morning, but for now, we needed to find shelter for the night.

"We should find a place to rest," I suggested, looking around cautiously.

Ella nodded, her excitement tempered by weariness. "Let's find an inn or someplace we can lay low."

As we walked through the town, the streets were quiet, with only a few townsfolk moving about. The buildings were modest, with wooden signs hanging above doors. One sign caught my eye—a small inn with the name "The Wandering Seagull" painted on it.

"That looks promising," I said, pointing to the inn.

Ella followed me as we approached the door. Inside, the inn was warm and inviting, with a crackling fire in the hearth and a few patrons scattered about. We approached the innkeeper, a middle-aged woman .

"Good evening," John greeted her. "We're looking for a room for the night. Do you have any available?"

The innkeeper smiled. "We have a couple of rooms left. How many nights will you be staying?"

"Just the one," I replied, glancing at John and Ella.

She nodded and handed us a key. "Room 3, up the stairs. Enjoy your stay."

We thanked her and made our way to the room. It was small but cozy, with a single bed and a couple of chairs. Ella immediately flopped onto the bed, sighing with relief.

"We finally made it," she said, her voice muffled by the pillow.

"Don't get too comfortable; I still owe you a meal," I smirked as I watched Ella sit up, a smile playing on her lips.

"You owe me a lot for the shit I've had to deal with today," Ella mumbled, rubbing her eyes as she stood up. I nodded in agreement, knowing the day had been long and grueling for all of us.

We both left the room and headed downstairs, stepping out into the bustling town. The streets were alive with activity, lanterns illuminating the vendors and townsfolk going about their evening. I kept a firm grip on Ella's hand, ensuring she wouldn't get lost in the crowd.

I nodded, spotting a small tavern down the street. "That place looks decent enough."

As we made our way through the throng of people, I felt a mix of excitement and unease. The town was lively, but we couldn't afford to let our guard down. We pushed through the doors of the tavern, greeted by the warmth and the sound of laughter and clinking mugs.

We found a table in the corner, away from the main crowd. As we sat down, a serving woman approached, her apron stained from a long day's work.

"What can I get for you folks?" she asked, her voice friendly.

"Three meals, whatever's hot," John replied, glancing at Ella and me. "And some ale."

The woman nodded and disappeared into the kitchen. I looked at Ella, noticing how the evening seemed to have relaxed her after the long, tense journey. Her wild hair hung over her face beautifully as she scanned the room with the curiosity of an intrigued child.

"Ever been to a pub?" I questioned, catching her attention. She shook her head.

"Not since that first one you took me to," she replied, a small smile playing on her lips. I couldn't help but smile back, feeling a familiar warmth. Ella had always been vexing in the most charming way.