Part 32

The serpent reared its head, towering above us, its eyes gleaming with an otherworldly intelligence. Its scales shimmered with every movement, reflecting the light from our torches in a dazzling display.

"Stay together!" Jones commanded, his voice steady despite the looming danger.

Henry tightened his grip on his sword, positioning himself protectively in front of me. "Stay behind me, Ella," he whispered, his eyes never leaving the serpent.

The men all began to scream in terror as the beast attacked, its jaws snapping and swallowing some of them whole. It was ten times our size, and I saw no way out of this as we were surrounded. Those chained up shouted to be freed as Griffin and his men tried to find a way out.

The cavern filled with chaos, the serpent's roars mixing with the cries of the men. Jones rallied the guards, trying to form a defensive line, but the serpent's sheer size and ferocity made it a daunting task.

"Hold the line!" Jones bellowed, swinging his sword at the beast. "Don't let it break through!"

But the serpent was relentless, its tail lashing out and knocking men off their feet. Blood and screams filled the air, and my heart pounded with fear and desperation. We needed a plan, and fast.

"Griffin!" I shouted, my voice barely audible over the cacophony. "Get those men free! We need all the help we can get!"

Griffin nodded, his face grim as he and his men worked frantically to unlock the chains holding the prisoners. The serpent's attacks grew more frenzied, its movements fueled by the pain of our strikes.

John stepped forward, his face a mask of determination. "We need to distract it," he said, glancing at the men. "Jones, you and the guards keep its attention. I'll find a way to strike it where it's vulnerable."

Jones nodded, rallying the guards with a series of quick commands. They spread out, forming a semicircle around the serpent. The creature hissed again, its tongue flicking out as it surveyed its attackers.

"Now!" Jones shouted, charging forward with his sword raised high. The guards followed, their weapons gleaming in the torchlight.

The serpent struck with lightning speed, its massive head snapping towards Jones. He dodged nimbly, slashing at the serpent's side as he passed. The creature let out a furious roar, its tail whipping around to strike at the guards.

While the battle raged, John moved stealthily around the perimeter of the cavern, his eyes searching for any sign of weakness in the serpent's scales. I watched him, my heart pounding, as he approached the creature from behind.

"Keep it busy!" he called out, his voice barely audible over the din of the battle.

Henry and I moved to a safer vantage point, watching the chaotic scene unfold. My mind raced, trying to think of any way I could help.

Then, I noticed something. The serpent's underbelly, which was exposed every time it reared up to strike, had a patch of scales that looked softer, less impenetrable than the rest. An idea formed in my mind.

"John!" I shouted, pointing towards the serpent's underbelly. "There! Its weak spot is there!"

John's eyes followed my direction, and he nodded in understanding. He adjusted his approach, moving closer to the serpent's vulnerable underbelly.

Jones and the guards continued their assault, each strike more daring than the last. The serpent's movements grew more erratic, its frustration evident.

Finally, John saw his opportunity. With a swift, decisive movement, he plunged his sword into the serpent's underbelly, driving it deep into the creature's flesh. The serpent let out a piercing scream, its body convulsing in pain.