Part 42

Just as John said, we made dock shortly before the sun set. What I imagined to be a beautiful country was exactly that. The town was crowded as the night came over.

We both got off the boat, and I looked around, amazed. I heard some huffing and turned to see John letting the ship drift away rather than tie it up.

"Wait, what are you doing?" I shouted, trying to stop him, but it was too late.

"We're in a dangerous territory," he grumbled, placing a hood over his face and wrapping another around me.

I looked around, noticing that the dock was pretty empty. "Stay very close to me," he whispered as I tugged the cloak tighter around myself.

As we walked through the narrow, dimly lit streets, the bustling noise of the town grew fainter. The air was filled with the smell of unfamiliar spices and the sound of distant laughter, but a sense of danger hung heavily over us. I could see the shadows of figures moving in the alleys, and every creak and rustle set my nerves on edge.

John led the way with a determined stride, his eyes constantly scanning our surroundings. We passed by market stalls closing for the night, their colorful goods now shrouded in darkness. I clung to his side, my heart pounding in my chest.

"Where are we going?" I whispered.

"To find somebody," he replied curtly. "But we have to be careful. Trust no one."

We continued through the labyrinthine streets until we reached a small, unassuming tavern. John pushed open the door, and we slipped inside, greeted by the warmth and the murmur of low conversation. He guided me to a secluded corner, where we took a seat, our hoods still concealing our faces.

As we waited, I couldn't shake the feeling that we were being watched.

"John," I whispered as he ignored me, scanning the room.

He was extra quiet, but I swear somebody was watching us on our way over here. "I think we need to—" I began, but he cut me off.

"Do you really miss Henry?" he questioned, catching me completely off guard.

I stared at him, puzzled, as this had nothing to do with our current situation. "What the hell? Of course I do! He's my best friend," I dragged out, as he nodded.

"But you've been away from him for perhaps a month. Did you miss him then as much?" he added, and I didn't see the purpose of this.

"John, I don't think now is the appropriate time," I insisted as the door opened and two tall men walked inside.

"I think we should leave," I whispered as he shook his head, the two dark figures growing closer.

"I wanted to—" he began but stopped, feeling a light tap on his shoulder.

My eyes widened as I feared the worst. John turned around, but there was no fear on his face as he stood up, happily hugging the man.

"Bonham! Long time no see," I heard him say, and I felt a wave of relief wash over me as I saw Bonham and Bo together.

"Hey, it's good to see you," Bonham replied, his voice carrying a familiar warmth. "We've been looking for you."

Bo gave me a reassuring smile, and I couldn't help but feel a bit safer with them around. "We were worried when that cave collapsed you both got trapped," Bo said, his tone light but his eyes serious.

John stepped back, releasing Bonham from the hug. "We made it out alive. There were... complications."

"Complications?" Bonham raised an eyebrow.