Beyond The Surface

The wind whipped around Elias, biting at his exposed skin. He squinted against the dust swirling at the edge of the canyon, trying to make sense of the anomaly before him. It was a structure, that much was clear, but it didn't conform to any earthly construction he knew. It rose, jagged and skeletal, from the sandstone cliffs, a monstrous network of interlocking, crystalline plates, each radiating an eerie, luminescent glow in the fading daylight.

Elias had been exploring the unexplored territories of the Martian frontier for a decade, chasing whispers of ancient, forgotten civilisations. He'd found remnants of Martian colonies, evidence of terraforming attempts, and even the fossilised remains of creatures long extinct. But this... this was unlike anything he'd ever encountered.

The structure pulsed with a faint, rhythmic hum, a constant, low-frequency vibration that resonated in Elias' bones. He felt a strange pull towards it, a primal yearning to touch it, understand it. Yet, fear, a primal fear that had no logical basis, held him back.

He took a cautious step forward, his boots sinking into the red sand. The wind picked up, swirling the dust into a miniature sandstorm, obscuring his view. When the dust settled, the structure pulsed brighter, the crystalline plates flashing with an almost hallucinatory intensity.

Elias drew a shaky breath. Was it natural, this structure? Or was it the product of some long-lost civilisation, a beacon of technology so advanced it seemed alien even to his trained mind? He'd seen the remnants of human settlements on Mars, their structures built from metal and concrete, rough and utilitarian. This structure was different, a symphony of light and geometry, an intricate dance of angles and curves.

He reached out, hesitant, and touched one of the crystalline plates. It was cold, unexpectedly cold, and felt smooth as ice. As his fingers grazed the surface, a surge of energy coursed through him, electrifying his nerves. Images flooded his mind, fragmented and chaotic, visions of a world bathed in violet light, of beings with iridescent skin and eyes that glowed with inner fire.

Elias stumbled back, his heart pounding in his chest. He felt dizzy, disoriented. The visions faded, leaving behind a lingering sense of awe and terror. He was staring at something too powerful, too alien, something that defied his understanding.

He had read the historical accounts, the whispers of a lost civilisation called the "Scythians," beings who were said to have terraformed Mars thousands of years ago, a civilisation that vanished from the planet without a trace. Were they the ones who built this structure? But how could a civilisation so advanced disappear so completely, leaving only this enigmatic monument?

As darkness fell, the structure pulsed brighter, bathing the canyon in an ethereal light. Elias felt a growing sense of dread. He knew he had to leave, to get away from this place, but he was frozen, unable to move. The structure's pulsating light seemed to be calling to him, beckoning him closer, drawing him into its enigmatic embrace.

He knew he had to be rational. This structure, whatever it was, was a relic of the past. It held no danger for him. But the fear gnawed at him, a primal instinct that screamed at him to flee.

He forced himself to turn and run, his boots kicking up red dust in his wake. As he ran, he could almost feel the structure's gaze on his back, its pulsing light seeming to follow him. He didn't stop until he reached the safety of the rover, its metal hull feeling reassuringly familiar.

He slumped into the driver's seat, his heart still pounding. He knew he couldn't ignore what he had seen, couldn't suppress the questions that now gnawed at him. He had to return, understand, even if the truth threatened to shatter his understanding of reality.

But for now, he looked back at the pulsating structure, a silent, glowing testament to a civilisation that, for all its brilliance, had vanished without a trace. Elias knew, with a certainty that shook him to his core, that his encounter with this structure was not merely the discovery of a relic. It was just the beginning of a much larger mystery, a mystery that would forever change his understanding of Mars, and perhaps, the universe itself.