Chapter 11

She was setting in a dark alley after an exhausting day. It was 10 p.m. she just got fired from the bar. She’ll never go back there anyway. As dirty and dark this might be, she felt safe, hearing all the conversations and arguments of families in the small apartments around her.

Suddenly, she heard a different kind of argument, a raging wiper between two or three men. Raising her head up and following the voice with her ears, she could see two men at the end of the dark street under a small street lamb that was flickering sickly. They weren’t shouting. But it was obvious they were arguing, aggressively. She decided to ignore them and put her head back between her knees.

The two men’s voices became louder, not to the point of shouting, but loud enough for her to hear.

“How dare you tell Stefano about this deal. If Big Aldo knew about this, he’ll kill us all.” That was the tall man in the black long leather jacket. He was towering the other shorter, round man, pinning him to the wall with his tall figure.

“I.. I swear I didn’t know. St… Stefano won’t say anything. I really thought he knew.” The round man was trembling. It was clear in his voice. A low, sick chuckle came from the man in black, “ofcoares Stefano won’t, because he’s already dead.” He said. “And so will you if you don’t tell me who else you ratted us to with this information.” He threatened the short man.

“I di.. I didn’t… Aaaah.” A loud cry made her jolt her head up and look toward the men, the round man now was on the ground struggling to come to his feet, but the tall man kicked him in the gut before he had the chance to.

“You know how dangerous we all in now.” He roared at the man, all the while kicking the poor thing while he was still on the ground. “ If Big Aldo knew about the deal we made with his clan,”- Kick- “ he could wipe us all”-kick- “from the face of earth with one thump.”-Kick- “This was suppose to be kept a secret until February!” kick. Kick. Kick.

“HEY!” She didn’t realize she had walked up to them until that moment. The man in black turned back quickly. “Why, you little bitch!” he throw a bunch but she moved quickly back before it hit her temple, and just as quickly, she swiped her leg down and knocked his own leg causing him to fall on his side.

“Damn you!” the man cursed and started getting up again. She looked back over her shoulder a the round man who was still on the ground, “Quick. Run.” She bellowed at him.

The man propped himself up with one elbow and only stared at her, his face smeared all over with blood.

“NOW.” She barked at him before the tall man grabbed her neck from the back but she acted quically by snapping her elbow hard back at his face. It hit his nose directly and he began screaming.

She looked back at the other guy and felt relieved when she saw him running away. She was able to run away right then. She had an open chance. But she wanted this. She had a rough day and she could use some outing.

So, she turned back to the tall guy who was coming at her with both hands again. Too slow. She’d already punched him again on the nose. Then again in the stomach. Then again and again until blood was everywhere. She stopped suddenly, feeling sick. Damn it, she took it so far.

 Just when she backed down a few steps, a big round body fell from the sky and landed at her feet. And then, blood really WAS everywhere…

Joanna jolted up from her wet pillow with a loud gasp. Damn it, that memory again. Why couldn’t she forget about it? Right, because a huge reminder flashed right in front of her last night.Big Aldo.