Chapter 36

Chapter 36
Valentino POV

I came in and recognized Garcia and Lucia's muffled whispers. Deja was making her way down the hall, carrying the remaining items.

"Garcia?" I called. I had to leave work a little early, but I assumed they'd already been gone. I told Garcia I wanted her gone before I arrived. This was because I was unable to look her in the eyes.

I heard footsteps and turned to discover it was Deja instead. As she set the bags on the counter, she looked at me, her gaze already interpreting the expression on my face.

"Is something wrong?!"

"No." I muttered this as I walked down the hall. As I came closer, I heard Garcia and Lucia's voices.
I chose not to listen in on the discussion and instead entered straight away.

"Hey," I said meekly to the two females. My gaze fell on Garcia. She could immediately read into what I was saying. She looked at Lucia.

"I didn't realize you were coming in so early."

"Yeah, I had finished collecting."

Lucia crawls out of bed, her eyes on the floor. "I'll be ready when you are, Garcia."

I know she was hurting because of what I did. I don't even intend to do it. It's just happened. Garcia gave me a sorrowful grin and nodded. She took up the duffle bag.

"I am ready." She said. Lucia ran by me before I could talk to her.
I didn't want to talk to her, but given that she was still around, it was the correct thing to do.

Garcia stands in front of me, a knowing smile on her lips.

"I understand..." I grimaced, not wanting to gaze at her for too long. "It will just take a few of days."

"One question."

"What?" I exhaled.

"Why did you take her from where she was, if you weren't going to treat her right."

This irritated me since I had done everything I could to care for Lucia. All of this gravity started when she found me with her and I honestly told her I wanted something with Deja.

"I treat her right."
"Yeah, you're effectively sending her away to fuck your ex for a week on this same bed where she seeks comfort."

"Do not look at it like that."

"You and the aunties, especially your mother, upset my stomach."

"Are we going to discuss this?" I glared. "When you were the one who told them about her and her story, they despised her."

"The aunties all despise us, and if you didn't lie about being at the office, they would disown you." She signified.

I grinned, "I don't mind if they disown me."

"Well, I hope you don't mind if I phoned your mother and explained how much of a vile girl you are on the streets. Huh?"
"Leave my mom out of it!" I let out a roar.

"You better end it with Deja."

"Who are you to tell me what to do, Garcia? You can't stop cheating on your man."

"First of all, Pablo and I have an open relationship. We figure out how to make it work. We are communicating on the condition that you take this girl up and give her false hope."

"What false hope. Do you realize how much I spend on her?"

"She is your duty; you are expected to spend on her. And you are meant to marry her. You are responsible for her well-being. You are meant to be there for her. You see what you're doing? Kicking her out to fuck some slut who cheated."
"I wasn't ideal with Deja." I tried to justify it by pointing out that she had cheated, which was no justification. But I must stick up for her.

"Deja will dump you again!" She shouted.

"Shh! She's out there!"

"I do not care! You are her type, and the only reason she wants you is because the white boy dumped her. Yes, he dumped the heck out of her because she couldn't keep her tiny underwear on."
************
Lucia's POV

I gazed wide-eyed at Deja, who had heard the dispute down the corridor. She gave a forlorn grin before her hands began carrying out some items.

I felt that it was my fault. It must be.
I had no idea where the root of it began, but the branch was entirely my responsibility. I felt like I'd wedged myself between them. It was my fault, or more likely my own delusions that I might have Valentino Rodriguez.

I was deluded and dumb. I've been deluded and dumb my entire life. I walked away from the wall and toward Deja. She appeared to be making meals. As I peered closer, I noticed tears in her eyes. I felt sorry for her.

"I'm sorry..."

"It's OK; Garcia will always be... Well, Garcia." She hissed.

I nodded. "Best wishes for you and Valentino?"
She slapped a plate down on the counter, and I was shocked it did not break. "Do you wish us the best?"

"Ye-yeah."

"Really! Because I know you're laughing inside, and Garcia is making an advance on this. But the reality is, Val would never have been with someone like you. Look at you." She spit in disgust.

I nodded.

"You're nothing but something she picks up because she believes her guilt will ride her."

"I understand," I muttered. "And I am so glad you and her are working things out."

"If you want to be as happy as you say, leave us and never fucking come back." She snapped. "You are just a fucking..." She gulped heavily struggling to find the right word to say.
"You are nothing but a lousy creature. A pitiful sad creature. I don't know your background, but based on your hideous scars, I'm guessing you've gone through a lot and are playing the fucking victim!"

"I am not sure."

"Go find a job and leave us alone. She's already helped you enough."

Garcia had arrived just as I was ready to break down. "Let's go, Lucia."

"Goodbye," I said to Deja. As I approached the door, I felt Valentino grab my hand. I stared back at her.

"You'll be okay. I will come take you up."

I nodded. I pulled my hand away from her. And walked out the door. Garcia and I walked down the stairs.