26. I'm taking you home

Now it was Sunday, which means the restaurant wasn't open today. Asami's mother had received a message that the staff from the refuge had talked with Riki and he agreed to move with them. Asami was so happy about it, and Shugo for sure.

Asami still remembered how Shugo had writted in his diary that's he'd want Riki to be his brother, maybe his wish can come true in a way.

They looked for a guest bed to add in Asami's room for Riki. It's not really a bed, but a thick mattress that can be considered as bed. Then they'd pick him up from the refuge in afternoon.

Asami just waited and waited when they'll go to get him. She couldn't have contacted him anyhow during the weekend, because he still didn't have a phone.

Her parents waited for Asami's aunt to come to their place and look after Shugo and Junpei for a while when they go pick up Riki. They didn't really want to take Junpei or Shugo to the refuge, but Asami was allowed to come, since she's surely old enough.

Their aunt soon came and so the three left to finally get Riki. The place really was out of town, and there was a great while to drive. Soon enough they arrived at the gravel road that leads to that building. There were a lot of trees around it and it would even look like the place was in the middle of a forest, but it actually wasn't. There was a guide sign before the front gate and Asami's father stopped the car there for a moment. She started reading the sign.

Shizuoka's Safest Shelter
Provides a home for every child who doesn't have one, feels like they don't have one, or offers longer maintenance and help for a child. Welcome!

There was also a map to guide around the place,

Children under 12 (floor 2)
Children over 12 (floor 3)
Regular ward (left)
Physical needs (health and medical) and psychological needs (mental and trauma-focused) ward (right)
Main hall and cafeteria (middle)

"I think we first should go to the main hall, there should be a register, I guess?" Asami's mother said after reading the guide too.

"Yeah." Her husband said and drove to the parking lots before the gate. They exit the car and then walked to the entrance. The gate was open but there were two guards on both sides.

"Welcome. Can we help you with something?" Another of the male guards inquired.

"Yes, we are a foster family for a boy named Riki Nishimura. We are here to get him." Asami's father informed.

"Alright. Follow me to the main hall." The guard said and started walking them inside the building. There was a gamefield in the front yard and it was packed with children, older and younger ones. 

Asami looked for Riki if he happens to be there. And she quickly spotted him in a gray hoodie, because he was easy to notice due to his height.

"Mom, he's there!" Asami said eagerly.

"Okay, go ahead and get him. If she's allowed to?" Her mother said and glanced the guard next to them but he only nodded agreeingly. Her mother probably noticed how strict the staff there is, or then she already knew it.

"We go to the register already." She informed her daughter.

"Okay." Asami replied and quickly started approaching Riki. He haven't seen them yet, and honestly he looks really upset. He was apparently playing basketball with some kids, but he still didn't look happy. It's the first time she has seen him unhappy while playing games.

"Riki!" She raised her voice when she was a little closer. That's when he heard her and immediately looked to her direction. He didn't get to react much when Asami had already ran to him and then wrapped her arms around his neck. She tiptoed a little to reach better.

He probably got surprised a little but then slowly slid his own hands around her waist, giving the hug back. She felt from her waist that he didn't have his plaster cast anymore, she felt his both palms on her back.

Asami didn't really know what to say, she just wanted to hug him right now, despite all the kids that probably stared at them at the moment.

She then pulled from the hug and gently cupped his cheeks with her palms. Riki looked her in the eyes. His eyes showed that happines that she was here but it was almost not seen under that melancholy and gloom.

His bruises had been healing during the week and only the bigger ones were still seen slightly. Asami has never seen his face without bruises, but soon she will.

She gave him a comfortable smile and then took his hand. "Come." She said and started pulling him away from the gamefield.

◇◆◇