23. I only need you

Days passed. Riki was at school every day and always told something new to Asami about the place he lives in now. Without even themself noticing they've spent so much time together now. Though, it's only at school, because he lives within a distance and he'd need permission from the staff there to go out. It's not like it's a prison or anything, they have their freedom, but the staff is actually pretty strict. And especially because Riki is new there.

They had P.E now and the boys and girls had their own classes separately but the warm ups they did together at the outdoor field.

Riki and Asami ran together the field, or didn't clearly run, just slouching while talking. "So you're going to therapy?" She inquired again to what he had just said.

"Yeah, the place has a therapist of it's own." He replied.

"Well, that's great? Or is it?"

"No, I don't need therapy if asked from me." He stated as he furrowed his eyebrows a little.

"Sure, but even if you feel that way, maybe it's good, even if you don't immediately notice it yourself. To have someone to open up and someone who listens." She stated with a smile.

"I guess. But I don't need a therapist when I have you." He said and looked her next to him.

She chuckled a little and playfully nudged him a little, so he did the same. "Oh, but that wasn't even the worst." He continued.

"Then what is?" She enquired.

"I was put in the health nurse and she wanted me to undress. Or just leave the underwear on, of course." He said to which she stopped her slow slouching, so he did the same.

"No way. Well, did you?" She asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, I had to. She's a nurse after all. But I do said I didn't want to."

"Shit, that must've been uncomfortable. It's even for me when it's a female and even to imagine if it's a male." She fake gagged. But she knows the reason for him wasn't a regular checkup, the nurse might as well wanted to see if he has bruises or wounds elsewhere, and well, he do has.

"It was." He replied.

"Nishimura, Ayama! Step on it!" The boys' P.E teacher shouted. Everyone else were almost at the finish line, while the two were barely mid way.

Riki and Asami shared each other amused yet frustrated glance but then Riki took her hand and they continued to jog the trackfield.

◇◆

Asami walked home as usually. She walked alone now these days, Riki goes to school in a car of the staff from the place he lives. Maybe she misses the time when Riki still lived next door and they walked home together. But she knows he probably is doing better there in the refuge or whatever it was.

Riki's mother was standing on the steps of the gray building. Now she wasn't smoking. She was just standing there. Sometimes Asami thinks that she might not be doing the best either. Her son moved out and her husband got into prison.

"Hey, you." She called Asami as she noticed her and then approached her. Asami can't deny that her heartbeat increased a little. She just wondered what Riki's mother wanted from her.

"What's your name?" She asked gently.

"Asami." She replied shortly.

"Okay, Asami. You're Riki's friend, right?" His mother asked.

Asami nodded. "Yeah."

"Then you probably see him at school. How is he doing? I just- I haven't seen him in days. A- and he's still my son.." She asked and eventually started sobbing. Asami saw her real worry over her son. And after all she's his mother, so she deserves to know.

"He's doing good. Better. Or that's what I think." Asami answered.

His mother nodded while she sniffled her nose. "Okay, great. Thank you, Asami." She said and then walked back to her own house.

◇◆◇