Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The room was a blur of dim light and intense focus as Articus continued to support his brother, Orion. The warm water that had spilled onto the couch was now mingling with the tension in the air, adding to the chaotic atmosphere. Orion’s cries and moans of pain filled the space, each sound a testament to the struggle he was enduring.

Articus’s face was set in a determined yet tender expression as he looked at Orion. He knew the situation was reaching a critical point. With a deep breath, he gently addressed Orion. “Orion, I need to check your dilation.”

Orion’s eyes, wide with fear and discomfort, locked onto Articus’s. “No, please,” he whimpered, shaking his head. “I don’t want it to hurt more.”

Articus reached out and gently placed a hand on Orion’s cheek. “I know, sweet boy. I promise, it’s going to hurt a bit, but it’s necessary. We need to know where you’re at.”

Orion’s breath hitched as Articus moved to check his progress, a wave of pain making him wince. He tried to focus on Articus’s calming presence, clinging to the hope that this was a necessary step. The cramps were relentless, and he could hardly think through the haze of agony.

Articus worked with practiced hands, his expression focused and compassionate. After a few tense moments, he looked up at Orion with a reassuring smile. “You’re at 8 centimeters, sweet boy. You’re doing so well.”

Orion’s eyes filled with tears of exhaustion and relief. The knowledge that he was nearing the final stages gave him a flicker of hope, though the pain was still overwhelming. “It’s still so much,” he gasped, his voice trembling.

Articus squeezed Orion’s hand gently, his own heart aching for his brother. “I know it’s hard, but you’re almost there. Just a little longer. Keep breathing and focus on getting through each contraction. I’m here with you, every step of the way.”

As Articus continued to support Orion, the atmosphere in the room was a mixture of intense anticipation and quiet determination. The fire crackled softly, a distant reminder of the world outside as they faced this intimate, challenging moment together. Articus remained a constant source of comfort, determined to help his brother navigate the final stages of this painful journey.