Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Orion’s eyes fluttered open, glassy and filled with exhaustion, and a deep frown etched across his face. His breaths came in shallow gasps, and his entire body trembled from the overwhelming fatigue and pain.

“Articus…” he whimpered, his voice small and hoarse, barely above a whisper. “I don’t feel good…” His face was pale, a sheen of sweat covering his forehead, and his limbs felt as heavy as lead.

Articus’s heart sank at the sight of his brother, panic and concern flooding him as he knelt closer. “Orion, just hold on a little longer,” he urged, his voice filled with quiet desperation. “We’re almost done, I promise. The baby’s nearly here.”

Orion shook his head weakly, tears slipping down his cheeks as the next contraction came. His entire body shuddered under the force of it, and a strangled cry escaped his lips. “I can’t…” he mumbled, his voice broken. “It hurts too much…”

Articus gently squeezed Orion’s hand, his voice soft but firm. “I know it hurts, but you’re almost there, Orion. You’re doing so well, I need you to stay with me.”

Orion’s breathing quickened, his chest rising and falling in uneven gasps as he tried to hold back more tears. “I don’t feel right,” he whispered again, panic beginning to creep into his voice. “Something’s wrong.”

Articus’s own fear spiked, but he masked it as best he could, staying focused. “Everything is okay, Orion. I’ve got you. We’re so close. Just a little longer.”

With a trembling hand, Articus reached to check on the progress, realizing just how close they were to the end. “You’re right there, sweet boy. One more push, and it’ll all be over.”

Orion whimpered again, the pain and exhaustion overwhelming him, but with Articus’s steady hand guiding him, he nodded weakly. Though his body was tired, and his spirit drained, he clung to Articus’s words like a lifeline, finding the last ounce of strength within himself.

With tears in his eyes, he gritted his teeth, preparing for one final push.