Prologue

"I was checking with this girl next door, when her parents went out.."

My mom and dad were out of town again. Not a big surprise. Normani came over, I wanted to be alone but she brought some beers and pot with her so I didn't care anymore. She went on talking about some guy and how she didn't want to have sex with him but did it anyway because 'you only live once'. I nodded and pretended like I was listening.

I stopped her in mid sentence. "Are you going to pass me the splif or just hold it in your hand?" I asked moving foward, towards the edge of the couch.

She took one last hit and passed it to me. "How long are you parents going to be gone again?" She asked, streching herself out on the loveseat.

I inhaled and let the smoke wrap around my lungs, "Not sure." I shrugged. "I don't give a shit either."

I laughed.

It was too quiet for my liking. I pushed myself off the couch. I nearly tripped stepping over my own laces. Normani laughed hysterically. If I wasn't so fucked up I would have too, honestly. When I was sixteen my parents bought me a stereo system; I never used it until now. As soon as I inserted the CD it began playing automatically. I made sure the volume knob was turned all the way to the right.

I loved music.

To hear it is one thing; To feel it is another.

"You must be really high." Normani said, I probably am and just don't even know it. "What's it like having princess perfect next door?"

I rolled my eyes. "I've never even talked to her. There's two kinds of people in this world; I'm one of them and she's the other."

Normani sighed as she sat up and rubbed her eyes. "I'm only asking because she's at your front door."

"Don't fuck with me Mani." I hissed.

"I'm not." She laughed. The door bell rang then. "Look there she is." It rang again. "Go answer it stupid."

Well, that was kind of rude.

I rubbed my eyes as I walked over to my front door. I placed my right hand on the door handle pushing it downwards, bringing the door my way. There she stood, doe-eyed and all.

"Oh, I didn't mean to wake you up." She said apologetically.

"I wasn't asleep." I replied bluntly.

She nodded awkwardly. " Your parents asked my mom to check on you since your home alone-"

"I'm not alone." Interjected.

"Noted." She feigned a smile. She stepped forward a bit and I furrowed my eyebrows, "You listen to John Mayer?"

"What?" I snapped. "People like me can't listen to certain music?"

"No..No..I-I.." She stammered.

"What do you really want Karla?" I probably sounded harsher than I truely intended to be but, I don't fucking care.

She stood there for a moment, nervously playing with her hands. "Um, do you have sugar?"

I couldn't help but laugh. "Isn't that like your genetic code? Sugar, Spice and everything. Nice?"

"I'm not a powerpuff girl." I rolled my eyes at her utterly ridiculous comment that had no meaning.

"Could have fooled me." I said sizing her up a bit. "I liked the powerpuff girls." I winked at her before closing the door.