23: A Moment of Truce

ActII

Rivals

Chapter 23: A Moment of Truce

Old Ford, July 28th 3018 T.A.

Stars filled the sky like pale corn scattered across the freshly turned ground, their soft glow a promise of life in the night and a sense of warmth springing from the cold. The vastness of the sky brought a humbling sense of eternity, a gratitude for the coziness of their camp. Tonight was their last night here; tomorrow, after a hearty breakfast, they would continue their journey.

The days spent at the camp had provided a much-needed break from the long trek through darkness. Tonight, everyone was busy with final preparations, ensuring they would be ready to depart from the Old Ford. They planned to travel south through the Gap of Rohan and then north to Rivendell, taking the longest but safest route by horse.

The campfire burned high, casting a warm glow on the scene. Legolas and Elros were engrossed in their map, making the last notes about the path they would take. Xena watched them for a long time, their low voices speaking in Elvish a soothing murmur that almost lulled her to sleep.

Curiosity got the better of her, and she approached them, wanting to know more about their route. She sat down next to Legolas, her eyes scanning the detailed map, which seemed to cover every corner of Middle-earth. Her own maps felt woefully incomplete in comparison. 'Annoying elves,' she thought with a smirk, as she studied the chosen path.

Legolas pointed out their current location on the map and traced the route they would take. They would travel south following the River Anduin, pass the Gladden Fields, and ride through Lothlórien. He explained that Lothlórien was a kingdom of Silvan Elves on the eastern side of the Hithaeglir, considered one of the most beautiful and elven places in Middle-earth.

From Lothlórien, they would ride south through the Wold, aiming to reach the Gap of Rohan. From there, they would travel along the North-South Road, then north through Dunland, and follow the river Bruinen in eastern Eriador until they reached Rivendell.

As Xena listened, her practical side kicked in. "That's the longer journey," she pointed out. "We could cross the Misty Mountains and get there faster."

Legolas sighed, knowing this argument was inevitable. "By horse, crossing the Misty Mountains would be nearly impossible. We're taking the safest route, not the fastest. I want everyone to reach Rivendell safe and well."

Xena placed her hands on her hip, her brow furrowing. "We've faced worse dangers than the Misty Mountains. We're wasting time."

Legolas's eyes narrowed, his patience wearing thin. "This is not just about us. It's about our horses and ensuring we're not caught off guard. The longer route is safer. It's my responsibility to ensure the safety of the entire group."

The campfire crackled, casting dancing shadows around them as the tension grew. Elros watched silently, his eyes flicking between the two.

Xena shook her head. "I understand caution, but sometimes you have to take risks. We can't just play it safe all the time."

Legolas stood his ground, his voice firm but calm. "Risks are calculated. This is not a decision made lightly. We've discussed this, and it's the best course of action. We'll face enough challenges on this path without adding unnecessary ones."

Xena's eyes met his, a mixture of frustration and grudging respect. She could see his point, even if she didn't fully agree. "Fine," she conceded. "But if we run into trouble, don't say I didn't warn you."