12: Through the Dark Fores

Act I

Foes

Chapter 12: Through the Dark Fores

Woodland Realm, June 3018 T.A.

Xena stirred from her light sleep, the darkness of Mirkwood pressing in around her. She kept her eyes closed, taking a moment to gather her senses. The forest was still, an unnatural quiet that set her nerves on edge. She could feel the dead weight of the forest around her, the oppressive air thick with decay and shadows.

Slowly, she opened her eyes, her gaze flickering to the elves around her. This was her first time seeing elves, and she was determined to observe them without drawing attention to herself. They moved with an otherworldly grace, their quiet efficiency in setting up camp the night before had been almost mesmerizing. Now, in the dim light of dawn, she could see them more clearly.

The elves were unlike any beings she had encountered. Their features were delicate yet sharp, their eyes bright and keen even in the low light. They seemed to glow faintly, an ethereal radiance that contrasted starkly with the dark forest around them. Their movements were fluid, almost choreographed, as they went about their morning routines. She watched as one elf prepared a small fire, the flames flickering weakly in the damp air.

Xena's thoughts wandered to the contrast between the elves and the forest. Mirkwood was a place of death and decay, its trees gnarled and twisted, their branches reaching out like skeletal hands. The ground was covered in a thick layer of fallen leaves and moss, the air heavy with the scent of rot. Yet the elves moved through this desolation with a lightness that seemed to defy the darkness around them.

Her gaze shifted to Legolas. The elf was seated a little apart from the others, his posture relaxed yet alert. Even in the subdued light, he stood out, his silver golden hair catching the faintest hints of dawn. His face was calm, almost serene, but she could sense the tension in his frame, the watchfulness in his eyes. This was the elf she had been sent to kill. She studied him intently, noting the way his eyes flickered over their surroundings, always vigilant.

Despite his apparent calm, Xena knew he was on edge. She had seen the way he had reacted to her presence the night before, the suspicion in his eyes. He was a formidable warrior, that much was clear. She wondered if he sensed her true purpose and if he knew that she was more than just a lost traveler.

Her thoughts drifted back to the night before. She had woken briefly in the middle of the night, the forest around her eerily quiet. She had looked around, noticing that Legolas was not among the sleeping elves. Her curiosity had piqued, and she had risen quietly, careful not to disturb the others.

The forest had been even darker then, the shadows deeper and more menacing. She had moved silently through the camp, her senses alert. There had been no sign of Legolas. She had wondered where he had gone, what he was doing. Her mind had been filled with questions, her suspicion growing. Was he out scouting, or was there something more he was hiding?

Legolas had indeed been avoiding sleep. The weight of his nightmares was too heavy, and the presence of Xena too unsettling. He had taken to patrolling the perimeter of their camp, his keen eyes scanning the darkness for any signs of danger. He did not trust Xena. Her sudden appearance, her skill in battle, her willingness to follow without question—all of it set him on edge.

His thoughts were troubled, his mind a whirlwind of doubts and suspicions. He had seen the way Xena looked at him, the calculating gaze she tried to hide. He wondered what her true purpose was, why she had ventured into Mirkwood. Legolas knew he could not afford to let his guard down. The darkness of Mirkwood was ever-present, a constant threat. But the threat he felt from Xena was different. It was not just physical; it was something deeper, something that gnawed at his instincts. He would need to remain careful, to watch her closely.