Mackenzie

It all happens too quickly. One second I'm standing at the tracks with my baby sister on the floor in front of me, her once yellow dress matted against her body with blood, and her face barely recognisable. The next, Im being interviewed by the police and told that my sister died on impact.

'It was a quick death' they tell me, 'she wouldn't have felt much pain,' like that's supposed to help.

Wherever I look, judging stares are cast my way. I know that look. I have grown accustom to it. They think I killed her.

Now, four excruciating days later, I'm at home, being told by my parents I'm going to be staying with my aunt from now on. They don't tell me when I can come back. If they ever plan on letting me, that is. They can't stand the sight of me. I can see the disappointment in their eyes and it hits me hard; I can't help but wish I was the one that got hit instead. And all for a bloody cat.

'Please Mum.. Dad.. I swear I didn't push her.. She...The cat...And then...'

And then I break down crying. My sobs pierce the silence and my parents leave the room, without another word.

They think it too. They think I killed her. And as I sit with my face in my hands and my body trembling, the sound of my heart breaking drowns out my sobs.

---