Jesse

3 years earlier...

'C'mon Jesse, C'mon Charlie!' I hear shouts surrounding us as we run.

Charlie and I chose to compete in the same event for sports day, to see who was the faster runner.

So far, Charlie is in the lead by a few metres.

As I plan to speed up and overtake him, a leg is stuck out in front of me and I fall, smashing my chin against the ground and hearing a large crack.

I hear laughing before two people overtake me, high-fiving each other in the process.

I groan and try to stand up.

Charlie, hearing the commotion, stops and turns around. He runs up to me, despite my protests and screams at him to continue, and lifts my off the ground, draping my arm over his shoulder and carrying most of my weight, eventhough I'm probably still alright to run.

'What're you doing? You could've won the race!' I shout at him, struggling to be heard over the crowd.

'Don't worry about it, we can do this together!' He shouts back, after checking I'm okay and assessing my cut chin.

We run the next round of the track together, and cross the finish line, minutes after everyone else.

The roar of the crowd was deafening, and he won an award that day for best sportsmanship.

He also won an award in my heart, for best brother.