Mackenzie

As the familiar blue building entered my sight, I pulled up my hood and cranked my earphones to full volume.

After contemplating whether to skip or not, I sighed and made my way into prison.

Sorry, sorry, my bad. I meant school.

Trudging through the winding hallways, and carefully weaving through clusters of students, I caught snippets of conversation.

'Omg did you hear what Mackenzie did?!?'

'She'd better at least have the decency not to show her face here anymore. She should know she's not welcome!'

'That girl killed her kid sister?'

'Yeah, looks can be deceiving, dude. You'd never guess she had blood on her hands.'

On and on the comments went, some were even completely untrue.

'Apparently she tied her sister to the tracks and ran. The train driver was in on it too.'

Each step grew heavier but I continued on. I just wanted to get to my locker, but they just had to make it hard for me.

'No wonder Sammy left.'

And that one hurt the most. Not just because it was about Sammy, but because it was from Amy, the closest thing I had to a friend before all this happened.

Chest constricting, I tried to hold my head up high and act as if their comments didn't faze me. And it worked for about 0.5 seconds, because when I saw my locker, my vision blurred and my knees threatened to buckle beneath me.

Written on my locker were two words.

Baby Killer.