Chapter Ten - Don't be so sure

The few weeks spent in Marbella with the Matildas and some of their partners, plus the Gorry kids, was everything I could have wanted and more. My heart feels so full, almost overflowing with happy memories. 

I've become pretty good with toddlers Harper and I were quick best friends, and I was always trying to help Clara and Katrina with Koby. Having everyone together made me feel so peaceful and at home. Being around so many Aussies, it somehow made me miss home.

All the girls have the biggest hearts and they just bleed green and gold. They handle everything with such positivity and grace. It was fun listening to all the different conversations some light hearted and funny and then some deep and so intelligent and I even got used to adding my own thoughts in. 

We joked that between Kyra and me, I was the brains and she was the brawn. Her muscles and skill were her strengths, while I didn't have much of an athletic bone in my body. It was funny seeing her confused face as I took everything in and then shared my opinions.

I quickly fell into a routine of slow mornings, afternoons full of playing with the kids, and evenings filled with love and laughter. It was so wonderful to have some special time with Kyra too. Everything felt perfect, but I knew they would soon go into full training camp and head to Marseille. That meant I would have to go home, even if it was just for a few days, and I dreaded it.

The thought of leaving this happy place, even for a short while, was hard. The peace I felt here and the connection with everyone, especially Kyra, was something I didn't want to let go of. But I knew it was necessary. I tried to focus on the positive. 

The memories we made, the laughs we shared, and the love that grew even stronger. These moments were precious, and they made every goodbye a little easier, knowing we would always find our way back to each other.

I had two days left before I was flying back to London with Kirsty, Mackenzie Arnold's partner. Like most mornings, I woke up late, alone in my bed while Kyra was probably already at the gym or doing something that I would never have much interest in joining her for. 

As soon as I woke up, I jumped straight out of bed. I didn't even feel the need to check my phone. Instead, I headed straight for the shower, eager to get ready and spend time with Harper and Koby.

My shower was quick, and by the time I was all dressed and ready, I felt relaxed and excited to start my day. I hadn't expected anything out of the ordinary. It was just another beautiful morning in Marbella, and I was looking forward to making the most of the time I had left with everyone. 

However, when I finally picked up my phone, all the relaxation and excitement drained away in an instant. The screen was filled with notifications, more than I had ever seen before. My heart instantly jumped to my throat.

There were missed calls from Bec, Zoe, and Laura, and multiple texts that blurred into one long, confusing message. Panic set in as I tried to piece together what had happened. Each missed call and message added to the growing sense of dread. 

I struggled to focus on any one message, my mind racing with possibilities. I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself down, but the fear of the unknown was overwhelming.

I sat down on the edge of the bed, forcing myself to go through the messages one by one. Bec had left several voicemails, her usually calm voice sounding unusually urgent. Zoe's texts were equally alarming, filled with questions and exclamations that made no sense without context. Laura's messages were the most frequent, her concern clear in every word. 

I sat there for a moment, trying to process everything. The beautiful morning now felt heavy with uncertainty and fear. I knew I needed to get through this day, to hold it together for the sake of everyone around me. But inside, I was reeling , my mind already shifting to what the fuck was going on and why I had no idea it even happened. Despite the rude awakening and most fucked and confusing information that had come my way, I forced myself to stand up, to face the day ahead. There were still kids to care for and moments to be cherished, even if my heart was elsewhere.