Chapter 43

Feeling sore, the next day I awoke to see grey eyes fixed on my neck with an unnerving intensity.

A knuckle slowly ran down the side of my face. "You're awake," he said softly.

With a yawn, I said, "Yes, Sherlock." It was a mercy I'd even managed to sleep at all, what with Vaughan's insatiable appetite. An involuntary blush warmed my cheeks at all we'd been up to last night, and his sharp eyes drew on it like a magnet.

His gaze lit with amusement and something darker. "A penny for your thoughts?" he asked.

"How about a treasure chest full of diamonds instead?" I asked, pushing off the bed.

"I could arrange that," he said, following along as I went into the shower.

When I made to shut the door in his face, he stopped my actions with a foot. He rose a brow. "I like to save water around here."

With a roll of my eyes and a reluctant curl of my lips, I opened the door wide, letting him in.

Then we proceeded to shower together, but not before he backed me up against the wall and did wicked things to my body.

Dressed in just his shirt I went downstairs and set about to preparing breakfast, ineptly tossing things into the steaming pan. Vaughan came downstairs shortly, his hair still wet from the shower.

He hugged me from behind, pressing a long kiss on the crook of my neck. "I like you in my clothes," he murmured into my skin, kissing upwards to where his mark was and lingering there. "I like you in my bed. I like you on my property. I like you in my life."

A sharp giggle escaped me when his kisses became insistent and playful. "Stop." I slapped at his arms. "I'm trying to prepare breakfast."

"What are you making?"

"Food," I murmured, fumbling with some ingredients.

He peeked around me and released a chuckle. "You don't have any idea what you're doing, do you?"

With an indignant huff, I snapped, "Of course I do!"

"The burning eggs would beg to differ." He sniggered. With a yelp I jumped into motion, wrenching the pan away from the fire. He threw his head back and laughed.

Trying hard not to drop the hot handle, I shot him a glare. "Har har, very funny. Keep this up and you'll be getting best mate award," I finished, sarcastic.

Chuckling behind me, his heavy arms wrapped around me. He whispered into my ear, "Best mate? There are other departments I'm well suited in, princess."

Shuddering as he kissed the mark on my neck, I asked breathlessly, "Like?"

His voice was a wicked rumble in my ear. He pressed his already hard length into my butt, slipping his large hand underneath my shirt. He tweaked a nipple, catching am earlobe between his teeth. "Like making you scream."

Wiggling against his large bulge, I gasped out, surprised, "I thought you... We... In the shower already."

"I would like to pretend I don't know what your saying, because answering that'll be a waste of time to achieving what I've already planned out in my head." He rolled a nipple expertly, eliciting an embarrassing moan from me.

"And?" I licked my lips. "What do you have planned?"

He detached himself from me, walking towards the counter. "Preparing you breakfast."

Strung up and throbbing in the worst places, I scoffed. "What a tease!"

He chuckled, laying out ingredients while I went over to sit on a high stool. Drumming my fingers on the table, I asked at length, "You cook?"

Washing up carrots, he answered, "Yes... My mum loved to cook."

Stopping, I sat upright. "Oh."

"She called me her little chef. She always liked to say my love for cooking became evident even before I was born. The only time I'd kick, she'd say, was when she was baking blueberry muffins. No surprise it was my best food growing up."

My throat clogged for an inexplicable reason. Looking down at my palms, I felt an uncomfortable edge to the atmosphere. I suddenly felt... unworthy of hearing this.

Vaughan turned to face me. Reading me like an open book, he stroked my mind, whispering into it, 'Hey.'

He whispered into my mind.

When what had just happened registered to me, I snapped my gaze up to his. "Did you just..."

"Mindlink you?" he finished for me. "Yes."

"But... I didn't think it was possible for me to be--mindlinked to!"

He chuckled. "With your mate it is possible, regardless of... whether or not you have a wolf."

The reminder that I was latent--funny how I'd forgotten. Because with Vaughan I didn't feel incomplete; I felt whole--did nothing to put a damper on my excitement. "Can I... Is it possible for me to mindlink you too?"

Holding my gaze, he nodded. "Yes, sweetheart."

"How do I do it?"

For the reminder of the morning, he taught me to mindlink him. It was like riding a bike. Regardless of how many times you failed, you eventually got a hang of it.

The first sentence I mindlinked to Vaughan?

I really love the diamond necklace you got me.

His second?

I'd like to watch it bounce around your neck as I fuck you.

Afternoon and early evening were spent laughing, drinking expensive wine, touching each other as if we couldn't get enough of ourselves, making love, and sharing countless stories and embarrassing secrets.

I didn't want it to end.

I never wanted us to end.

His yellow gaze locked on mine as he slowly eased inside me for the... I lost count, and I read the emotions clear on his face; he never wanted us to either.

Then late evening came like a revolting news. We were going back to the warehouse.

This time we were properly attired. In place of an expensive suit, a masquerade mask and a haut couture dress, were black as night clothes, leather boots and fully loaded guns.

Before we got into his car, he took my mouth in a bruising kiss, tearing away to breathe out, "Whatever you do, stay close to me okay?"

Inhaling a breath, I nodded. "Noted."

Then we rode off into the dark night.