Chapter 44

As we neared the warehouse, the prickling sensation filled me once again, and I had a suspicion that if I followed my instincts it'll lead me straight to the Link.

A suspicion I tested as we bursted into the warehouse, and into a coven of vampire lackeys in the process.

Immediately, they attacked, their movements a bit slow due to the fact they were just newly turned.

Vaughan changed into his wolf with a roar, throwing his weight into the herd, clawing out hearts and biting off heads--literally.

Vampires approached me, their eyes glowing a frighting shade of red. I pointed my gun at them and shot blindly. Some went down, some just shrugged off the bullets, flying towards me with a dangerous speed.

When claws dug into my shoulders, I let out a scream, my pistol clattering to the floor. Vaughan was at my side immediately, jumping the vampire until they both landed on the dusty ground, rolling roughly until their backs were coated in dust.

In one lethal move, Vaughan dug his canines into the vampire's neck and ripped out his throat, producing ugly, gurgling sounds from the man.

Bile rose in my throat, and I turned away. I was ashamed to find myself thinking of all the warm moments I'd spent with Vaughan, of him laughing, of him kissing my mouth... Anything to remove that ghastly image from my mind.

When I rose, the wound in my arm protested. But I went towards a wide opening, reminding myself the vampires deserved what they were getting. As I went on, Vaughan ran beside me, done with eliminating the first batch of leeches.

"This way!" I called, turning left on instinct, my heart drumming in my chest.

We ran up a flight of stairs, and as soon we reached the landing,Vaughan's large hand curved around my head and pulled down quickly just as a spray of bullets dotted the spots above our heads.

Face paling, I looked up to see a vampire standing behind a balustrade that'd broken off halfway. He bared his fangs with a hiss and instantly came flying towards our direction.

Just as Vaughan prepared to attack, I focused my gaze on him with every cell in my being, the hair on my nape rising. The vampire stilled midair, then hurtled towards the opposite direction, crashing into a wall hard enough to leave a dent.

As dust rained down his limp form, Vaughan turned to face me, an expression akin to pride shining through his gaze. "Are you okay?" he asked, worriedly running his hands over my body.

"Yeah," I breathed out.

When four more vampires appeared behind the balustrade, he grabbed my hand and dragged me onwards, following as I skidded into another hallway.

We entered into a large hall. Running across it, we squeezed into another hall through a narrow door, with Vaughan having to squeeze in extra hard due to his huge physique.

Taking the only available corridor, I ran down it, starting to pant from nerves and fatigue.

We turned right and... Into a dead end.

"What?" I gasped out in shock, my heart pounding dangerously fast in my chest. But my instincts had led me here.

From a distance, a loud thud sounded, and then a crack. My head whipped around when I heard heavy footfalls coming our way. A tall vampire stood not far away. On spotting us he bared his fangs with a low hiss, then barreled forward.

Vaughan changed into his wolf and charged towards the gangly man, colliding into him with a force that made my breath rattle in my throat. More vampires flooded in, and Vaughan fought them all with a mindless ferocity that frightened even me.