Chapter 28

Ryu. The shot. The pain. Another gunshot. The pain. So much pain. Acceptance. Apologies. A hoarse voice calling my name. Faintly feeling someone or something pick me up. A guy's voice. A woman's voice. Takuto? Wendy? Lots of voices now. A faint "She's breathing" and a cold hand gripping my left hand, thumb or finger brushing over my knuckles and ring. Someone putting pressure on my stomach area. Pain. Intense pain. A scream. Was that me? A far away "Shh.. We'll be there soon Sweetheart. I love you. Don't let go.....don't let go." Riki. Don't let go.....don't let go.....

Don't let go.

Don't let go.

Don't let go.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beeping. Incessant beeping. Bright white lights. Headache. Make it stop. Intense stomach pain. Why...? I feel faint warmth and pressure on my left hand. Quiet voices. "Riki....She'll be fine. She's strong." Takuto.

"I'll relax when she wakes up. It's been 3 days." Riki.

More beeping. The hell is with the beeping? I try opening my eyes. Why won't they open? My thoughts are swimming. I fade back into a black abyss.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I come to, I open my eyes.

"Mmmm.....What the hell?" I murmur and bring my right hand over my eyes, gripping the bridge of my nose. I feel a grip on my left hand. Looking over, I see familiar black hair draped on what looks.....a hospital bed? When..? How...?

It all hits me at once.

The shot and the pain and the other shot. The thud of dead weight hitting the floor. Riki telling me "Don't let go."

I slowly extract my hand from his and brush my hand over his hair. He stirs slightly. His color is back and he feels warmer. I smile to myself, ignoring the faint, fading pain in my gut. I look around. I'm hooked up to multiple machines. The one that takes your pulse is beeping. Well that explains that. I look towards the end of the bed. There's a couch. Takuto is sitting on one cushion, and Wendy is curled up on the other, her head in his lap. Aww. I ship it. Wekuto? Tandy? Tandy. I lay back staring at the ceiling.

I smile and look back at Riki. He's moved and I can now see his face. He's bruised and has a few stitches in his bottom lip and I can't see his leg, but he's alive. We both are.

His eyes flutter open as I slowly brush his hair out of his face. They are back to being the steely color again.

"Alaina..." He breaths out, joy lighting his face. He stands and shifts his weight to his right leg. He leans down and gently pulls me close, burying his head in my neck. He pulls back and I can see tears in his eyes and he wipes my face with his thumbs to wipe away mine. He closes his eyes as his lips gently meet mine.

"You didn't let go."

"I didn't let go."