CHAPTER 12: Unspoken Truths

Chapter Twelve: Unspoken Truths

YORRIS

"L-Luke?" I asked, my voice trembling. I tried to approach him, but he stepped back. What happened to him?

He stopped retreating and gave Van a bitter look, pain evident in his eyes. I was about to call out to him again when he suddenly laughed and spoke.

"So, you guys were dating." He concluded before turning away.

A sudden wave of concern washed over me, followed by guilt. But why? Why did I feel this way? Luke was my friend, so why did I feel guilty? Was it because of the anguish in his eyes? Was it because I could sense he was hurting, seeing me with Van? But why would he be hurt if we were just friends? I was about to follow him when Van grabbed my wrist.

"Don't go." He pleaded softly. I looked into his eyes before speaking.

"I just need to talk to my friend, Van." I said calmly. His pleading expression shifted to one of insults.

"How about me, Zarianna? You can't just leave me here. I am your-"

I cut him off.
"You are my what, Van? What am I to you?" He took a while to respond, staring into my eyes before speaking.

"I care for you and you care for me too. I get jealous when you're with other guys, and you get jealous when I'm with other girls too. I kissed you, and you kissed me back. Is that what friends do?"

"So, what do you call that? Friends with benefits?" I sneered bitterly after saying that.

"No-"

"Then what?" I demanded.

"Z-Zarianna-"

"What, Van?" I was nearly in tears. Why couldn't he be straightforward with me?

"Look, baby. This is not the right place, the right time, right da-"

I cut him off again.
"Then where? WWhen? Just be honest with me. Do you love me?"

"Z-Zarianna-"

"Just answer my damn question, Van."

"Baby, I... I... I care for y-"

Again, I cut him off.
"I said, do you love me?" I sneered bitterly after asking that. He ran his fingers through his hair before saying anything.

"Zarianna, I like you." My tears finally fell. That's it, Zarianna. You got the answer, but not the one you were hoping for.

"That's it! You just like me, Van. You don't love me. Why? Do you love someone else? Is it Gia?" I smiled bitterly.

"That's why you couldn't answer my question right away." I turned away after saying that, but he stopped me again.

"Let me go."

"B-Baby-"

"And from now on, don't you dare call me by that endearment again."

"No. You don't understand. You got it wrong, Zarianna. You got it wrong, baby."

"I understand Van. I understand that you only like me. I'm just so stupid to fall in love with you. When you left without saying goodbye, that's when I realized how I really felt about you. That's when I realized that you were important to me, and I didn't just like you; I loved you. I've loved you since then. But that won't matter now. I hope I didn't meet you again." I said and hurriedly left.

I walked out of the venue, searching for the places Luke might have gone. I found him in the garden, sitting on the grass. I wiped the tears from my cheeks and walked towards him, sitting down beside him. He didn't even bother to look at me.

"What are you doing here? Why did you leave him there?" His cold voice cut through the air. I sighed before speaking.

"I'm sorry for what you saw a while ago." He didn't respond, he's just staring into the distance.

"Go, go back to him." His tone was as cold as ice.

"Luke-"

He cut me off.
"Zarianna, you don't need to be sorry, and you don't owe me an explanation. I'm just a friend. Now go, go back to him." Zarianna? This was the first time he called me by my name. I was taken aback but managed to respond.

"No. I'm staying here." I replied firmly. He sighed.

"If I were you, I'd go back to my boyfriend." He forced a smile before speaking again.

"I'm leaving." He stood up, so I stood up too. Boyfriend? He doesn't even love me. I quickly stopped him.

"He's not my boyfriend, Luke." He laughed bitterly before facing me.

"I don't think so! You guys kissed. Do friends kiss?" I froze. That was my biggest mistake-letting Van kiss me without knowing his true feelings for me.

"That was just a mistake, Luke. Wait, don't tell me you're jealous?" I teased. But I didn't expect his response.

"If I said yes, would you choose me?" I was stunned. I couldn't answer. "Tss. Forget it, Zarianna. I gotta go now. Take care, young lady." He quickly retracted his statement.

If I was shocked when he called me Zarianna earlier, I was stunned again when he called me young lady. Since I first met him when I was looking for the clinic, this was the first time he called me young lady again. I wasn't used to him calling me young lady. I was used to him calling me Bal.

"Bal." I called out, causing him to stop walking. But he didn't turn to face me. This was the second time I called him Bal.

I need him now. I need to talk to him about what he saw earlier, and I need him as a friend. I need someone to talk to now. I didn't know why my eyes filled with tears.

"P-Please don't leave me here." My voice finally broke. He immediately turned to face me upon hearing my broken voice. He hurriedly approached me.

"Damn. Why are you crying?" His question made me cry even more. Without a word, he hugged me. He comforted me and helped me sit down. He asked why I was crying. I told him everything about what he saw and my conversation with Van earlier.

-Anniarian