CHAPTER 13: A Kingdom's Burden

Chapter Thirteen: A Kingdom's Burden

VAN ANTHONY

I was stunned by Zarianna's confession. She loves me? I felt a surge of joy at this revelation, but it quickly dissipated when I remembered my conversation with my father.

Flashback:
Two Months Ago...

"Welcome back, my son." My mother's voice and her warm embrace greeted me as the grand doors of the main hall opened. I hugged her tightly and kissed her cheek softly. I missed this wonderful woman. I missed my mom.

"I missed you, Mom." I said happily, hugging her again.

"I missed you too, my child." She replied, her eyes brimming with tears. I put my arm around her, and we started walking inside. I glanced at my father's throne, but he wasn't there.

"Mom, where's Dad?" I asked immediately. I wanted to talk to him, to hear directly from him about what Primo had told me. My mother smiled before speaking.

"He's waiting for you there." She said, pointing to the blue door. I nodded. I kissed her cheek again.

"We'll talk later, Mom. You have so many things to tell your son." I winked at her, and she laughed.

"Alright. Now go, he's been waiting for you." I smiled at her and walked to the blue door. I opened it. There, I saw my father sitting on his swivel chair, facing the glass wall. From inside, you could see the beautiful view below through the glass.

"Dad." He turned his swivel chair to face me. When he saw me, he smiled and stood up.

"Son." He said, hugging me. "I'm glad that you're finally back." I smiled and pulled away from the hug.

"Dad, I want to know everything. I know I just got here, but I need clarity." He smiled at me before speaking.

"I knew this would be your first question upon your return." He smile again before continuing. "So, I prepared myself and everything I need to tell you."

"Dad-"

"All you need to do is listen, son." I nodded as he said this.

"I know Wilnard told you my favor to him about your mother and why you grew up in the second kingdom. I never hated you, son. I could never hate my child." My chest tightened with happiness at his words. He had only just begun, but tears already welled up in my eyes. I let him continue.

"I felt lost when you and your mother left the kingdom. It felt like I was alone even though your brother was still here." Marcus. He is my stepbrother, the son of my father's first wife.

"Not once did your brother console me during the time I was grieving over you and your mother." I felt a twinge of anger. That bastard.

"But I can't blame him. He still holds anger towards me for what happened to his late mother. I know he blames me for Beth's death." Aunt Beth committed suicide. I never learned the real reason for her death.

"When you came here to confirm what you had learned, Marcus spread lies that I hated you and that I would entrust the throne to him. That was never true. We argued because I told him I would never entrust the throne to someone with a hot temper. He got angry and hated me even more. I only found out that he spread those lies when you came here. I was forced to say I would give him the throne to avoid clouding your mind. I just wanted you to focus on your mission. And you succeeded, congratulations, son." I smiled warmly at my father.

"There is no one else I trust to rule the first kingdom but you, son. I know the kingdom will thrive under your leadership." I bowed my head in gratitude. I was happy with what I had learned.

"Now that you know everything, I have a question." I immediately looked up and met my father's eyes before he spoke.

"What is it, Dad?"

"Are you ready to take my place? Are you ready to lead the first kingdom? Are you ready to be the king, my son?" It took me a while to answer my father's question. Was I ready? If I accepted the throne immediately, I might become overwhelmed with responsibilities. No, I'm not ready yet. There's someone I need to return to.

"I see that you are not ready." I bowed my head at my father's words. He was right; I wasn't ready.

"I will give you one year to prepare yourself. However..." I immediately looked back at him when he said that last word.

"However, remember the tradition for the next king. You know that the future king cannot have a lover. So, in your year of preparation, you are forbidden from having a relationship. I do not want your mind to be divided. I want you to focus on your preparation." I could not speak immediately.

End of Flashback

This is why I couldn't tell Zarianna that I love her. I don't want him to hope for something I can't give it right now. There is no one else I love but her. Gia is just a friend. She was with me when I left and returned to my father's kingdom.

Baby, I hope you can wait. I hope you can wait for a year. I hope you can wait for my reign. I hope you don't turn your love to someone else. I hope, baby. I hope.

-Anniarian