CHAPTER 3: The Encounter

Chapter Three: The Encounter

I walked through the field, seeking solitude. I needed to clear my mind. The field became my favorite spot here in the campus. From the top of the field, I could see the entire expanse. The cool breeze played with my long hair. I sighed in contentment. The field was always quiet at this hour because of the blazing sun. It was one of the reasons why I loved it here. Sometimes, when I'm sleepy, I'd even nap here.

Recalling my close call with my professor the other day when I fell asleep in the clinic, I felt a pang of relief that I hadn't been reprimanded. I pushed the thought aside, focusing instead on the present.

I sat down at the base of a tree, stretching my tired legs. The breeze rustled my hair gently, and I closed my eyes, letting the wind soothe me.

"Hi!"

Without looking, I immediately recognized the voice. It was Luis.

"What do you want?" I asked, my tone disinterested.

"Can we talk?" Luis asked.

"We're talking already." I replied. Luis sighed heavily.

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to hurt you. I really tried my best but..."

"But what, Luis? That you love her more? That you love my friend more? Damn your excuses!" My voice was sharp.

"I've tried many times to love you more than I love Naelee, but it didn't work. My heart..."

"Luis, I've already let you go. I haven't interfered with you and her, so leave me alone." I cut him off.

"I want a proper break-up. A closure!" I remained silent. Break-up? Closure? How dare he bring this up. The nerve of him.

"Leave me alone, Luis. I want to be alone."

"But..."

"I said leave me alone! You're free! Just let me be."

"I'm sorry, Yorris."

"Leave!" Luis wanted to say more but chose not to, and he left. I sighed deeply.

I thought I was strong, that Luis could no longer hurt me. But I was wrong. His words cut through me, and tears began to well up in my eyes. I felt strong only in his presence, but weak once he was gone. I cursed my own emotions.

"I want to forget you, Luis!" I shouted into the empty field, my voice breaking.

"THIS IS THE LAST TIME I'LL CRY FOR YOU! SCREW YOU AND YOUR NEW GIRLFRIEND!"

"Prrttt-! Haha-!"

I turned around, startled by the sound of someone stifling laughter. I thought I was alone. Scanning the area, I saw no sign of anyone. Was it just my imagination? Suddenly, someone fell from the tree above.

"Hi baby." I stepped back as he kissed my cheek.

"What are you doing up there?"

"Why? Are you worried?" He smirked.

"Of course not. I was just asking!"

"Just admit it!" He said with a wide smile.

"Tss!" Was all I could manage. I looked back at the field, still empty. Students must have headed to their classrooms. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him sit beside me and look at the view.

"I'm glad you're starting to move on. I'm happy you took my advice." I didn't respond, continuing to gaze at the field.

"Don't think about him anymore." He added.