Healing process

As I lay on the narrow bed, Healer Lirien began to examine my arm. Elara hovered nearby, her eyes fixed on me with concern. Healer Lirien's touch was gentle, but her hands were firm and skilled as she probed the wound. I winced slightly, and she murmured an apology.

"What happened?" Healer Lirien asked, her eyes scanning my face. I hesitated, unsure how much to reveal. "I...I was struck by a brick," I said finally, trying to downplay the incident. Elara's eyes widened in surprise, but she said nothing. Healer Lirien's expression turned thoughtful, and she nodded. "I see. I'll need to clean and dress the wound. It may require a few stitches."

I sat up with a start, my heart racing at the mention of stitches. "Stitches?!" I repeated, trying to process the idea. Healer Lirien's hands gently but firmly pressed me back onto the bed. "Yes, I'm afraid so. The wound is deeper than I initially thought, and stitches will be necessary to properly close it." I shook my head, feeling a wave of panic wash over me. "No, no stitches. I...I can't have stitches." Elara stepped forward, concern etched on her face. "What's wrong? Why can't you have stitches?" I hesitated, unsure how to explain. The thought of being tied down, of being vulnerable, was unbearable.

I forced a weak smile onto my face, trying to mask the fear that was rising up inside me. "I'm just...afraid of needles, that's all," I said, attempting to downplay the true extent of my anxiety. Healer Lirien's expression was understanding, but firm. "I assure you, it's a simple procedure. You won't feel a thing." But I knew it wasn't just the physical pain I was afraid of. It was the loss of control, the feeling of being trapped and helpless. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down, but my mind was racing with worst-case scenarios. Elara's eyes were fixed on me, her expression soft with concern. "Maybe there's another way?" she suggested, but Healer Lirien shook her head. "I'm afraid not. Stitches are the best option for this type of wound."

The mention of stitches and the feeling of being trapped suddenly transported me back to a dark place, a place I thought I had long escaped. Memories of my mother's twisted experiments, her cold hands holding me down, the searing pain of her needles and scalpels, it all came flooding back. My breath caught in my throat, and I felt my heart racing like a wild animal. My vision began to blur, and I felt myself being pulled back into that nightmare world. I tried to push the memories away, but they lingered, taunting me with their presence. Elara's voice seemed distant, a faint echo in my mind, "Hey, are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost." But I couldn't respond, I was too busy fighting to breathe, to escape the darkness that threatened to consume me.

Healer Lirien's voice was soft and gentle, a soothing balm to my frazzled nerves. She placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, and I felt a tiny spark of calm ignite within me. "Look, if you don't want it stitched up, I can just bandage it," she offered, her eyes filled with understanding. "It might not heal as quickly, but it's better than causing you distress." I nodded, still trying to catch my breath, my mind reeling from the memories that had resurfaced. "Y-yes, just bandage it," I stammered, feeling a wave of relief wash over me. Elara looked on, concern etched on her face, but Healer Lirien simply nodded and began to expertly wrap my arm in a soft, white bandage. The gentle pressure and soft fabric seemed to envelop me in a sense of security, and I felt my racing heart begin to slow.

Healer Lirien handed me a box of tablets, her expression kind. "Take two tablet twice a day, morning and evening, to help manage the pain," she instructed, her voice gentle and reassuring. I nodded, feeling a sense of gratitude towards her, and took the box, tucking it into my pocket for safekeeping.

Elara's hand wrapped around my elbow, providing a gentle but firm support as she helped me off the bed. I smiled weakly at Healer Lirien, feeling a sense of relief wash over me. "Thank you," I said, my voice sincere. "Thank you for your help." Healer Lirien smiled back, her eyes warm. "Take care of yourself," she said. "And don't hesitate to come back if you need anything." With that, Elara and I made our way out of the infirmary, the soft glow of the luminescent orbs lighting our path back to my room. The silence between us was comfortable, Elara's presence a reassuring constant as we walked.