Dye

Anyone else randomly gaining freckles??
——————

Sunday afternoon they returned to the dorms. Unpacking their weekend bags, they combined their small laundry loads, reclining in Kirishima's room while they waited for the washing.

It was messier than usual, the kind of uncomfortable mess that bothered Kirishima as he picked up items, stashing them back where they resided or at least out of sight. Ducking into the bathroom for a moment, he emerged with his face contorted into dissatisfaction as he picked up a few random things tossed carelessly on his nightstand.

"D'you mind helping me with my hair this afternoon? My roots are showing again."

"Sure, I guess." Bakugo looked up from his phone, clicking it off, having lost interest in his game. "Do I really have a choice?"

"No, not really." Eijiro laughed sincerely, jamming a drawer shut and making a mental note not to open it later.

"It looks kinda cool black though."

"I dunno." Glancing at the mirror on his dresser, he ran a hand through his fading red hair, dismayed.

"Whatever, it's your hair." Katsuki appeared beside his reflection, scruffing it up for good measure. "Not my fault if you look lamer."

"Dude, shut up, I look cool as hell." The blond just scoffed over an endeared laugh. Tossing a pillow at his friend, Kirishima ignored his stupid laughter as he continued to pick up his room.

Half an hour later, they left the newly tidied dorm to retrieve the tangle of warm fluffy laundry. As they sat on the carpet, folding clothes and determining whose clothes were whose, the sun poured in through the window, late morning glowing outside with bright clear skies, fresh young leaves, and fluid clusters of birds chasing the breeze. Bakugo helped his friend put away his laundry before momentarily leaving to put his own away.

Kirishima was out of dye so they shuffled on their shoes and walked down to a nearby convenience store to pick up the cheapest red dye being sold. Bakugo also tossed in a soda and rice ball, upset that Kirishima paid for everything without even giving him the chance to dig cash out of his pocket. In return, they shared the soda on the walk back, tongues and smiles stained with artificial color, bubbles stinging their mouths, icy cold sugar lazily oozing through their veins.

Thankfully the convenience store wasn't far as the heat that day was barely tolerable for longer than a few minutes. Sweat stained the neck of their shirts, making foreheads dewy and cheeks pink. The air conditioned dorms felt like a saving grace when they crossed the threshold, met with a rush of cold air, warm palms sticky on the door handle.

Upstairs in Kirishima's bathroom, they laid a stained and tattered towel over the bathtub edge. Kirishima sat against the edge, neck resting against the scratchy towel as Bakugo poured water over his friend's hair, making sure to miss a few times and splash his stupid smile.

Reaching up on the counter, Kirishima managed to grab the box of dye without having to move from his comfortable crisscross-applesauce position, pausing before tearing into the packaging. Grimacing at the photoshopped model with neon red hair, he hesitated before blurting out:

"Does the red actually look lame?"

"What—" the blond startled slightly, turning toward the question, the dye brush and cup in hand. "Oh... no. You know, I just like giving you a hard time."

"I mean, you call me shitty-hair. Is it really that bad?" He asked, laughing as if to soften the blow of admitting it.

"No, Ei," he sighed, pushing back the faded bangs, Bakugo considered his face for a moment, rolling his eyes before letting the hair fall back into place. "I like it."

"Really?"

"I wouldn't help you dye it if it really looked that stupid." Taking the box from Eijiro's hand, he opened the it and squeezed the packet of dye out, mixing it around with the brush until it was properly combined. "Plus, it's super easy to find you in crowds."

"Oh whatever." Kirishima hid his face in feigned embarrassment, startling back upright when Bakugo plopped a brush-full of cold dye on his head. He had gotten pretty good at helping with the dye, never missing a spot and getting pretty good coverage despite the cheap quality. Plus, he was always pretty gentle, Kirishima had never liked how aggressive—or expensive—hairstylists could be.

After getting a decent coating of red paste over his hair, Bakugo brushed the rest through with his hands, making sure to coat every strand, fingers running smooth through wet hair. Kirishima did his best not to fall asleep.

While the dye set, they sat on the bathmat and watched Jaws. The porcelain bathtub cold against their backs.

"That's you." Bakugo announced, pointing a red-stained finger at the shark, viciously chewing on the back of the small fishing boat.

"What?! I'm not a man-eating beast!"

"Yeah, you're the shark."

"How?"

"It's the teeth. I'm surprised you didn't attack anyone at the beach yesterday."

"I'm gonna attack you." Frowning, Kirishima's eyes averted, running his tongue against his teeth, still terrifyingly sharp.

"Ha! You lost two to three last time you tried."

Kirishima opened his mouth, trying to think of something smart to retort, swearing under his breath when he failed.

"That's what I thought." Taking that small victory, the blond stood, stretching the hour of sitting from his back. "Anyways, it's probably time to wash that stuff out."

The faucet splashed back on, and Kirishima leaned back over the bathtub edge, listening to the water slosh as Katsuki poured an ice cold cupful over his hair, running cool from his forehead down his neck. He shivered, wishing it was warmer but knew the color wouldn't set as well with warm water.

Rough hands ran through his hair, massaging water through each strand of hair with gentle but firm motions until the water dripping off ran clear. Kirishima had opened his eyes, sitting back up, a towel thrown over his head before he had a chance react.

"All done." The blond announced, drying his pink hands, and sipping the last of their convenience store soda.

Thanking him for the help, Kirishima stood and fluffed his newly vibrant hair with the towel, drying it off enough and making a fluffy mess out of it. Tucking a few loose annoying strands behind his ears, he admired the color in the mirror, reckoning this color would last him at least through July.

"It looks good," Katsuki said, firmly, appearing in the mirror beside him. "The red, I mean."

"Oh, thanks." He turned, back to the mirror, wet hair, falling in his eyes. "You're pink."

"Yeah, my hands are probably gonna be stained for a few days so you owe me for this."

"No, like," Kirishima pointed to his own cheeks, smiling awkwardly.

"Oh, shut up."

——————
Rip to everyone who has school starting