Icepops

Idk about y'all but things are feeling like major bad omens
————————

Friday afternoon had come in the blink of an eye. The sun sat high and hot in the sky, shadows barely surviving in the intense light. Afternoon air was stagnant and heavy, void of any refreshing breeze across the blistering concrete and dense humidity lay thick after a dewy morning.

As students poured out from the hallways, the heat had become downright abominable. Even the trees with their newly sprouted leaves seemed to wither and yellow slightly.

Kirishima had always been partial to the summer, its open skies and clear blue days, but this was all too much, even he slumped against his friend as they walked, like an oversized backpack thrown over Bakugo's shoulders.

"Would you get offa me? It is too damn hot for you to be acting like a fur coat." The blond grumbled, not bothering the energy to shove him off.

"I'm melting, Kat." He whined dramatically, letting his feet drag behind and tossing his head into Katsuki for emphasis.

"Ugh, me too," Mina agreed sidling up beside them, her backpack atop her head like a crude umbrella shield. "If this is what we're in for the rest of the summer, count me out."

The group groaned in agreement, pushing through the thick air, just envisioning the relief of cool dorms just waiting for them a short distance away.

As they neared dorm section if the campus, a childish, tinkly, circus-like song cut through the heat like a glorious breeze, instantly recognized by the teens as an ice cream truck, passing just outside of campus. Without hesitation, they exchanged several glances and hastily changed directions, dragging Bakugo along with them as he loudly protested that they'd get in trouble and that there was ice cream in the dorms anyways. They nearly had to sprint to wave down the driver—a middle aged man with kind eyes, a long softened figure hugged in a stained pink apron and certain gentle ease in his deepening wrinkles— before eagerly digging up scraps of change from their backpacks and pockets and picking out an frozen treat from the colorful menu.

Beneath the shade of a sagging old tree they relayed their choices of ice cream or popsicle, the shorter of the group having to balance on tiptoes to reach the window. Kirishima couldn't see very well himself but wanted to keep some portion of his dignity so he simply looked up and spoke loudly when it was his turn to order.

"I'll have a cone of rainbow sherbet and he'll have a mango ice pop."

"Hey, who said I was getting anything or that you could order for me?" Bakugo turned, jolted out of his annoyance with their unapproved field trip.

"Oh, did you want something else?"

Bakugo opened his mouth but snapped it shut, quieting.

"Yeah, a mango ice pop, please." Kirishima offered up a few crinkled bills, sticking a couple extra in a yellowed plastic tip jar as a small thanks for stopping. Before Bakugo could even begin to protest, they were handed their treats and he begrudgingly but gratefully took his as Sero stepped up to order.

Hesitating for a moment, he tasted it, bright, sweet and refreshing, absolutely perfect for the afternoon heat, sweet mango nectar reinvigorating his energy.

"How much do I owe you?" He asked.

"What?" Kirishima had been focused on the pigeon hopping around at their feet, not hearing.

"When we get back, how much do I owe you for this?" Repeating himself, Katsuki gestured to his ice pop, biting off a corner.

"Oh, psh, nothing," waving the question away, Kirishima smiled coolly, his lips already dyed from the sherbet. "Can I have a taste though?"