13. You, I and the waves

They walked along the seashore, conversing nonchalantly. When the topic shifted to books, their discussion turned to Murakami.

"The philosophical themes are perfectly blended with elements of adultery," Manya remarked. "Yet, he always leaves his stories cloaked in mystery. I'm never satisfied with that."

Nam Joon nodded thoughtfully. "You know, there's something special about an author who opens your mind and heart, leaving breadcrumbs for you to follow. When a writer shows you a path, it's up to you to venture further and find your own understanding."

She gave a nod, smiling. "Your perspective is valid, but for me, Paulo Coelho resonates more, though I have my concerns with him too. Does that make me a bad reader?" she mused aloud.

Namjoon smiled reassuringly. "Not at all. When you read a book, it's all about analyzing it, sometimes disagreeing with the author and sometimes agreeing. That's how you find your own voice. You know, you're a bit judgmental but not rigid. You're open to considering other viewpoints."

Manya chuckled. "In finance, I have to assess and judge people quickly; it's part of the job. But I'm always open to changing my perspective if I'm wrong. How about you? Being the leader of a world-famous band, you must have to make a lot of decisions and handle so many things and people."

He sighed, the weight of his role evident. "I try my best, but it often takes a toll on me. Imagine everyone around you thinking you're a genius, expecting you to be perfect and have solutions for every problem. If I don't know something, they immediately question my intellect. I can't truly be myself with anyone, except for my boys, and sometimes not even with them. I can't speak freely in this industry without fearing judgment."

She nodded sympathetically. "We're all performing for the approval of others, striving for their best opinions. As social creatures, we often lose ourselves in that pursuit, sacrificing our own preferences. It happens to everyone, though the altitude and pressure vary, and you bear a heavier burden than most, I can see."

"You're right" Namjoon said. "The pursuit of approval is relentless, and it's easy to lose sight of who we are amidst the expectations of others. But maybe there's a lesson in this struggle. Perhaps it's about finding balance, learning to navigate between the demands of the world and our own inner compass.

I often remind myself that it's okay to be imperfect, to not have all the answers. True strength isn't about never faltering, but about rising each time we do. The real challenge is to remain true to oneself, to hold onto our sense of purpose and values, even when the world demands otherwise.

In the end, I believe that authenticity resonates more deeply than perfection. If we can embrace our vulnerabilities and share them, we might find that others are more understanding and forgiving than we give them credit for. In that shared humanity, we can find a sense of peace and connection that transcends the need for constant approval."

In jest, she added, "I now understand why you abducted me twice."

Caught off guard by her words, Nam Joon asked, "Abduction?"

She replied with seriousness, "Last time and today, you orchestrated a planned abduction to bring an outsider, an alien into your world and confide in them."

Startled by how accurately she pieced it all together and understood his innermost thoughts, he paused.

"I could sue you," she teased, "but your motives seem genuine, so I'll let you off the hook this time." As she turned to look at him, their eyes locked, and she sensed something profound in his gaze that sent chills down her spine. There was something electric in the air, a connection that went beyond words, drawing her in with an irresistible pull. Slowly, he averted his gaze towards the sea, contemplating the depth of their connection.

The night deepened, lengthening along with their conversation. They found solace in each other pouring out everything they had bottled up for years. Words flowed like arrows released from a bow, like echoes in a deep forest, like water rushing through an open dam.

After a rain shower interrupted their stroll, forcing them back to their rooms. Manya changed into her nightwear and lay in bed, trying to sleep.